Flea control!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What do you use to prevent fleas?

Advatage, Advantix, Frontline, or one of the other topicals from a vet
68%
Biospot, Zodiac, flea baths, or one of the other OTC flea-control products
4%
Fresh garlic or other all-natural dietary supplements
21%
Other
7%

Total votes : 28

Flea control!

Postby BabyReba » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:53 am

For the past 5 years, I've been using Frontline on my dogs to prevent fleas. I try to use is sparingly, and I don't dose them regularly like the manufacturers recommend (every month for ticks, 3 months for fleas). But this year I'm trying to cut back even more--especially since I just found a lump on Reba's back in between her shoulder blades where the stuff is applied!

I know some people swear by fresh garlic or other organic solutions, and I'm wondering what works for everyone.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby phez718 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:01 pm

I don't use anything for Casey unless I know we're going to be near actual plant life(not a joke! there is little to no plant life where I live) We live in the city so risk of ticks and fleas is very low. If he gets a tick or fleas, I handle accordingly.
phez718

Postby Sheepl » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:16 pm

i use advantage. she still gets them a bit when after 3 weeks instead of the full 4 weeks, but she wasnt INFESTED like she was with FRONTLINE. :sad:

were getting something else pretty soon. dunno what yet.
Sheepl

Postby Laurier » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:25 pm

I use Frontline plus regularly as suggested, but lyme disease is a problem here in New England and I like to take the dogs for short hikes so making sure their "frontlined" is important.
Laurier

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:42 pm

I use Frontline Plus...

Never had any problems, but I usually don't do it even every 3 months, just in the summer when I notice them getting the itchies.

Fleas aren't that bad around here, except maybe in the summer time. I've only seen one of them get a tick on them, and that was during the summer in a deserted field.

Maybe they all drown in all the rain we get 9 months outta the year... :roll:
JaquelineC

Postby Alexandra&Diego » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:14 pm

Fresh garlic :))
Alexandra&Diego

Postby Boo439 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:22 pm

I use K-9 Advantix when I see a flea problem arise. Being in FL means there are flea problems most of the time :(
Boo439

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:28 pm

I don't use anything either... fleas aren't that common around here neither are ticks...plus, using flea/tick medication isn't the healthiest thing around. I was reading an article some time ago about how bad the stuff really is for the body...might as well be allowing your do to smoke...but I guess if you really need it or if your dog has fleas there's not much else you can do...however I like the all natural garlic method instead of chemicals (thumbs up for Alexandra)
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Out of all the years we've had Pookie, I've only had to use Advantage once...we were living in an apartment and I think maybe the previous tenants had a pet with fleas. We saw a couple fleas on her, so we used it. I haven't had to use it since (knock on wood), none of the other dogs have ever had them. I do give them fresh garlic everyday just as a preventative (and because it's so good for them).
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:36 pm

hey that reminds me...is garlic toxic if its given in large quantities? I know that goes for onions so I was just thinking.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pollypop » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:58 pm

We spend a LOT of time in the woods and come back literally covered in ticks fairly often, so I use Frontline Plus. If we weren't around ticks so often, I doubt we'd have to use anything. I haven't seen a single flea on the dogs, ever.
pollypop

Postby Maximus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:23 pm

We use Revolution, which is flea, tick and their heartworm preventative, so we don't miss a month. But we also give the pups garlic and brewer's yeast every day as added protection.
Maximus

Postby kendall » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:44 pm

pitbulliest wrote:hey that reminds me...is garlic toxic if its given in large quantities? I know that goes for onions so I was just thinking.

In VERY large quantities, yes. In a normal amount, it's actually very helpful. It's a natural way to fight parasites (especially those in the digestive tract), also infections, reduces cholesterol, and is often an effective way to treat allergies. All these things are true for both people and animals. I'm sure there are other benefits that I'm forgetting...
But to answer your first question, it is toxic to pets only in very large amounts... you would have to feed them upwards of 10 to 15 cloves a day for them to feel any ill effects.
Levi and Caesar both get a clove of garlic cut up and wrapped in cheese on a regular basis (couple times a week).
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby elegy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:18 pm

i put advantix on luce once. i haven't seen any fleas on her at all, but we do see a fair amount of lyme disease around here, and we do go out tromping through the woods from time to time. the only ticks i've pulled off though were on ME.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby katch22 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:36 pm

I use Sentinel for Flea and Tick and Heartworm prevention. They take it with their food. Does anyone else use this? It always scares me when I am using something that no one else is - if you know of something wrong with it, please let me know. Fleas and ticks are all over here.
katch22

Next

Return to Health Issues