Bites? or Blisters?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bites? or Blisters?

Postby katch22 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:02 pm

Pete has a red "bubble" between his toes on his back foot. He is not licking it and he does not act like it hurts. I just noticed it tonight. My friend says it looks like irritation from rubbing together, but I am worried that it is some sort of bite. Anyone had anything similar to this? I thought maybe a bite b/c it sort of has a center on it, but it is also hard and raised, not blisterlike or pusslike. I am worried if it could be a spider bite. I plan to check it tomorrow and if it gets worse, I will take him to the vet. I guess I know I should right away, but I have spent so much on allergy meds for Pete and Cole thislast month??? Anyway, what do you guys think?
katch22

Postby katch22 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:11 pm

can you tell that I am now totally freaking myself out by posting before anyone else could comment. i am always the first to think the worst, but I just would feel so bad if it is something serious., and you know how much emergency vet care will cost! F***. he acts like he doesn't even notice it, but I am a freak and worried...do you think that i am crazy if i wait until tomorrow morning or would you take him now?
katch22

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:33 pm

I would think that if it wasn't bothering him that it could wait till morning.

A dog an old friend of mine had when we were kids was allergic to fleas. When bitten on exposed skin a raised blister type thing would appear. These would show up on the pink skin under his legs, on his stomach, and between his toes.
Just a possibility...

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby katch22 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:39 pm

Thanks jeremy. Come to speak of it, he does have a little spot on his tummy. I thought it was from his allergies - he has inhilant allergies. I just got off the phone with emergency vets and they said that it doesn't sound too serious if he is letting me touch it and not acting like he is in pain. (I thought - yeah but he is a pitbull, he has a high pain tolerance)- he didn't even flinch when his leg was broken in 3 places when we first found him.

I am going to monitor it for swelling and if t gets worse, I will take him in.

Thanks again.

Katch
katch22

Postby SKoth » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:05 pm

Katch-
Really I wouldn't worry. It's hard to say w/o seeing it but it could be a number of things. Sometimes dogs get a type of wart on their feet. It's pretty common in young dogs especially and nothing to worry about. If it's not bothering him and not rapidly changing I think he'll but quite all right!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby moto1320 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:42 pm

I would vote for an ant bite. My boys have had the problem of deciding to lift thier leg right int he middle of anthills al of the time. If I didn't always watch they would be laid into at least once a day. They have been bitten before by a few and it looked like that.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby katch22 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:10 pm

Thanks guys - it looks the same today. I was freaked last night b/c I killed a brown recluse in my bathroom last week. If you have ever seen the damage from one of those lil f'ers...
I am so relieved!!
katch22

Postby gooeydog » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Could also be a yeast infection, it seems to be fairly common for dogs to get them between their toes. If it goes away and that's the last you see of it, probably something different, but if it lingers, or becomes a recurring problem, I'd suspect that as a possible cause. The vet should be able to do a culture to tell if that's what it is if it becomes a bigger problem. Does he have a lot of ear problems?
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby katch22 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:01 am

No not a lot of ear problems, but he certainly has skin probs!! He licks his feet b/c of allergies so much that (b/c they are white) they are now tinted pink, and he gets red bumps on tis belly. The vet said that he has strong inhalant allergies. He is on meds now and seems to be doing better, but this raised area showed up yesterday and has not changed much. there are two bumps - one on each of two toes that are next to one another with the bumps almost touching - if I only had a dig. cam!! It has not grown, but if it has not gone down by the weekend, he is going to the vet...AGAIN!! Ugh.
katch22

Postby gooeydog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:49 am

Goo had all those problems, plus ear infections (though she's had several this year, I think it's the sticky, humid weather). Luckily, hers mostly seemed to clear up when I switched her food to a better type, but she still reacts more than usual to bug bites (mosquitos mostly, and some types of flies it seems, she commonly gets 1/2 dollar size welts when bitten, these days she's like a walking bug repellent ad). I tried to find a picture of the welts she had to show, but no such luck. I did find a link with some good info on yeast infections, allergies, and how they're connected: http://www.dachshund.org/health_yeast_problems.html
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:47 pm

Sounds like your dog has environmental allergies along with some food. Changing foods might help some, it sounds like you have a yeast infection brewing between those toes. It can spread up the feet if left untreated so with luck they can give you something like DermaPet to treat it. It will clear it up quickly. Have you tried giving benadryl? It works on a lot of dogs though it can make them kinda sleepy. It sure wouldn't hurt to try, if the swelling goes down then you know it's most likely some kind of bite. Good luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby katch22 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:19 pm

First - thanks so much for all the info. - it has given me a lot to look into.

But, the swelling is not going down. Still no pain, but he is getting a bumpy serface on the blisterlike thing and the little head on it is black now - almost scabby. I cannot tell from what I have read of the yeast infections. It talked about yellow puss - ey like substance and he has not had that?? His foot is looking kinda gross. Not spreading or anything, just looking red and getting bumpy witht he black head on it. He has a vet appointment on Monday - they said it is not urgent unless it is painful or spreading, but I am still worried. He is on Attarax (Hydroxyzine), for his inhalant allergies.

If this sounds familiar, let me know - if not I guess we will all see on Monday. I really hope that it is nothing serious. I am just concerned with the blackness of it and that he almost looks like he is dirty b/t his toes? (The vet said that that could be from licking though? Ugh - it is driving me nuts.

Others have suggested Benadryl, but I wasn't sure if he could be on Attarax (sp?- could go look at the bottle I guess) and Benadryl at the same time.

Thanks again all - i really appreciate it.
katch22

Return to Health Issues