Top 5 Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Solid Gold & Steve's Real Food

Postby Bulldogger » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:16 am

Hey Barb, I've been feeding my dogs 50% Solid gold Hunden flocken & 50% Steve's Real Food. I also include Seameal as a supplement. What u think of this combo? Is Nature's Variety better than Steve's? I'm thinking of buying a bag of Timberwolf, what would you recommended from them? Thanks :)
Bulldogger

Postby barbponys » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:04 pm

I like the NV better, more meat, less veggies. It is much richer, so be careful how much you feed.

My personal choice for the Twolf is the Elk, Bison or Ocean Blue. If you are happy with SG Seameal keep on with it.

I feed 50/50 and the dogs do great :)
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Bulldogger » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks Barb, I think I might try the Wild & Natural Dry, it's grain free! I'm going to pick up some Salmon oil too. Once again thanks for you opinions. :)
Bulldogger

Postby barbponys » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:44 pm

Mark completely changed the formula, and the Serengeti. Cats still do well on the dry, as little as they get. I would be interested in hearing how your dog does on the W&N. I like the fact that he will change things up, not stagnate just because it's a pain to change.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Bulldogger » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:19 am

I'll let you know how my dogs do on it. I like how's it's grain free! Thanks for the info. I'm looking foward to getting it. :)
Bulldogger

Postby Trump72 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:40 am

For an average sized pit, 50#, you will feed 1.5 cups a day on the Timberwolf, it will last you 2 months. It feeds at a cup per 30#. $25 a month doesn't seem expensive to me? I go through about a bag a month feeding half dry and half raw to 5 dogs.

i've been feeding gladys 2-3 cups of TW a day. At 40-45 lbs, 11 mos old, she's looking very thin ,and always hungry.

what to do?

is that normal? should i add meats or change the flavor?
Trump72

Postby barbponys » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Those feeding guidelines are for adult dogs. Pups you feed to condition. With this food, it's better to add fat rather than more dry food, they'll just poop more if you up the dry amount. Eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, both full fat. You can mix them both in or choose one. I gave a serving spoon of cottage cheese plus an egg mixed with the dry food.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby hacknvp.com » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:00 am

hey barbponys im new to the board but read all the comments made and i just found a place near me that has the timeberwolf so after the weekend im going to get soem for my pit and my roc...thanks for the advice you have given....now i saw something about BARF what is that and can u give me the link for the topic...thanks in advance

and i guess that means alpo and gravy trianare pure crap
hacknvp.com

Postby mayhem » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:19 am

well i am a diamond person.
mayhem loved it and my new puppy loves it.
the kennel i bought her from fed all thier dogs diamond.
even the puppies were getting diamond puppy.
i mean it ain't $50 a bag but you can't walk into wal-mart and buy it either.
mayhem

Postby Orange27 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:51 am

mayhem wrote:well i am a diamond person.
mayhem loved it and my new puppy loves it.
the kennel i bought her from fed all thier dogs diamond.
even the puppies were getting diamond puppy.
i mean it ain't $50 a bag but you can't walk into wal-mart and buy it either.

If you like Diamond, you should look into Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (crazy name, I know, but great ingredients) and Premium Edge. They are both made by Diamond but are MUCH better quality foods. And they are very reasonable, as well. I buy Premium Edge at a local feed mill/coop for $25 for a 35# bag.

For example:
Diamond Premium Adult Formula

Ingredients
Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, fish meal, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

And Premium Edge Adult formula:

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, turkey meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, millet, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-Carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

As you can see, Premium Edge has no corn, no by products, no brewer's rice or beet pulp (cheap fillers).
Orange27

Postby mayhem » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:21 pm

i'll give Premium Edge a try
mayhem

Postby Orange27 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:12 pm

mayhem wrote:i'll give Premium Edge a try

:thumbsup: :doggie: I know it's not one of the top 5, but for the price, I think it's a pretty good food.
Orange27

Need Help on Choosing my Dog Food

Postby TIAONG » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:31 am

Can anyone advice me on choosing dog food for my puppy?
Is BLACK WOOD 2000 a good brand?

Ingredients..
Poultry Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid], Dried Potato Product, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Plain Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Flax Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Cheese, Lecithin, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Whey, Natural Flavors, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Garlic, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.
TIAONG

Re: Need Help on Choosing my Dog Food

Postby Orange27 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:45 am

TIAONG wrote:Can anyone advice me on choosing dog food for my puppy?
Is BLACK WOOD 2000 a good brand?

Ingredients..
Poultry Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid], Dried Potato Product, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Plain Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Flax Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Cheese, Lecithin, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Whey, Natural Flavors, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Garlic, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.

It looks OK. It's not the worst food, but you could definately find something better. For example: poultry meal is an unspecified meat. What kind of poultry? Also, corn meal is not good for dogs. Many are allergic to corn, and it has no nutritional value to them (they don't really digest it; it just goes right through). "Brewer's" means leftover pieces from processing. Beet pulp is a cheap filler.

I would look into the "top five foods" listed in this thread. Also, a website that is rarely mentioned on this board, that is great for finding information on both feeding raw and commercial foods is www.dogaware.com. There are many commercial foods listed along with links to their websites so you can find where they are sold. Typically good foods are not available at pet supply stores or grocery stores.
Orange27

Timberwolf

Postby PCiviex69 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Highly Recommend Timberwolf Elk Formula, I switched over to it about a week ago and allready she has stopped licking herself, and scratching, no more eye boogers, more energy, and her hair is filling back in soft and shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :headbang:
PCiviex69

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues