RAW HIDE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby JB » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 am

Sugar's had rawhide a couple times, both times she puked and had the trots the next day. She also chewed the things like a complete moron, resulting in her getting blood all over the thing (wtf!), so I don't give it to her at all anymore.
JB

Postby pollypop » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:08 am

The one and only time we gave rawhide to Polly, she ate the whole thing in like twenty minutes (and it was a BIG knotted bone shaped one, too) and then spent the next several days having diarrhea all over the house, interspersed with occasional vomit.

Whenever we want to give the dogs chewy treats, we give them fresh or frozen soup bones, marrow bones, or beef shanks. They take a while to chew, are inexpensive, don't stink, and don't make our dogs sick.

Here is something that someone I know wrote about rawhide:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/rawdogs/47183.html
pollypop

Postby elizer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:45 pm

i read that cow raw hide expands to twice its size in the stomach, and if u realyl want to use raw hide go with pig raw hide. also i was wondering about the soup bones and marrow bones, when u say fresh do u mean from the butcher? wont that spoil?
elizer

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:12 pm

I get frozen marrow bones from the supermarket, no problem w/spoiling. My older girl, who has a more sensitive stomach, had a mild case of the runs from eating the marrow, I assume it's quite rich.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:22 pm

My girls love raw marrow bones. After they eat the marrow, they hide the bones in the yard or in the house and drag them back out after a couple days. They eat what little meat is on them right away so there's never a problem with them spoiling. If they don't eat all the marrow out right away (which doesn't happen a lot around here) they just eat it the next day...it never makes them sick.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:45 pm

i gave roxy rawhide a few times. everytime she'd throw it right back up in a nice long, slimey piece. she usually has a big nylabone which lasts for months, her kong which she doesn't really pay attention to unless i've filled it with something, and a marrow bone. i never buy the bones from petstores as they're either smoked or "sterilized" which means they're not raw. bully sticks are good, but too expensive.

how about those hooves you can buy in petstores? i bought them for roxy a few times. they stunk to high heaven but lasted a looong time and kept her busy. i stopped buying them though because i didn't know if they were alright.
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby concreterose » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:37 pm

how about those hooves you can buy in petstores?

I won't buy cow hooves anymore. They splinter really bad and then they wake up at night gulp gulping and up they come :yucky:

Read this about cow hooves
concreterose
Regulator

Postby elizer » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:15 pm

so i just go to the grocer's butcher and ask for marrow bones and soup bones?
\
i don't have my pup yet but im trying get everyting planned ahead.
elizer

Postby concreterose » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:34 pm

so i just go to the grocer's butcher and ask for marrow bones and soup bones?

Yes...don't tell them they're for your dog though...you want the best cuts :cool:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby katch22 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:08 pm

I do not give them to mine. it was like nip when I did and they got very overprotective. that is the only thing they will not drop for me. They, then b/c they think I might take it - swallow big pieces. I have seen dogs do fine with them. That is just my experience - but IMO - if you do decide to use them - never give one to a dog as a toy to chew on while you are away.
katch22

Postby phez718 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:21 pm

Casey absolutely LOVES the knuckle bones from PetSmart. Are they bad for him or is it ok to give them to him?
phez718

Postby concreterose » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Casey absolutely LOVES the knuckle bones from PetSmart.

I don't like them because they're cooked. I have heard people give them with no problems, just be careful. You don't have a market you can go to get raw ones? They're a lot cheaper than the ones they sell at Petsmart, and better for dogs.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby phez718 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:10 am

We do, but my mom wouldn't let him have one, she thinks it's gross. Oh, the day I move out...
phez718

Postby shella677 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:22 pm

My dogs love the knuckles and beef femurs. But their not allowed to have them anymore, they fight over them. But I do give them the marrow bones with filling (maple syrup) and they are fine with them. I also do not give them rawhide, I've had to reach down Ace's mouth to get a huge chunk out before. :yucky:
shella677

Postby SuperNova » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:06 pm

Right now Nova has a cow or pig hoof.. dont know which, my fiance's brother's wife gave us one (they got a puppy on the same day we did)..
She hasn't torn it apart, but she likes the taste and she likes teething on it. She's only frayed the edges of it. Will it be ok?
SuperNova
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues