question about meds...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

question about meds...

Postby chewalotopus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:08 am

Anyone have any experience using Clomipramine for anxiety (in my case anxiety from fear of loud noises) and/or Acepromazine for things like nail clipping?

Thanks!
chewalotopus

Postby Leslie H » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:21 pm

It is my understanding that Ace packs a pretty hefty wallop, I thought a vet had to administer it.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby chewalotopus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:54 pm

hmmmm...apparently not...well - the vet didn't give me much of of that one, and told me to start out at a low dosage and add little by little if I need to. They even cut up the pills into quarters for my convenience!
chewalotopus

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:32 pm

I use Ace on Sash for fireworks and crap like that. It's pretty darn strong, I give her 1 1/2 pills when the fireworks are bad and it drugs her out. It lasts for hours..............like 6. I've used it on her for the last few years, I make sure the prescription is always filled just in case something comes up and I need it.

Word of warning..........any of you with Boxers or Pugs, don't use Acepromazine on them. It has killed both on too many occassions. I have a note in my files at the clinic that states it is not to be used.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby chewalotopus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:50 pm

Yeah, I read the warning about Boxers on another site earlier today.

I don't think I need to knock any of mine out completely for the nail clipping, just slow them down...both Diesel and Joon FREAK when I get the clippers out...and their nails are ATROCIOUS.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
chewalotopus

Postby mnp13 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:42 pm

So that's good for a short term knock out? I tried Amatryptaline for Ruby's attacks, but that was a daily pill and I didn't like drugging her every day for a once a week or so occurance.

I want a fast acting 2 or 3 hour knock out pill...

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:59 pm

It works really well Michelle. It doesn't knock Sash out but nothing bothers her. I found that one pill wasn't enough, she was still edgy and would shake. 1 1/2 is the magic dose. She just kinda hangs out, when the fireworks are really bad she will pace some but that beats the hell out of trying to climb under our skin. She pants some but I think that is a side effect of the drug.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pocketpit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:01 am

Acepromazine has varying effects. While there are standard doses based on weight, each dog is affected differently. Effects are supposed to last 6-8 hours. In some cases I've seen it last 12. It should never be used in dogs that have seizures. As stated before it doesn't knock a dog out, but it's a good tranquilzer. Slows them down and makes them just want to chill. You should give it at least 20-30 minutes before you want it to take effect but know that it may take longer in some dogs. I've seen a couple of cases where it took several hours before it kicked in for some reason. By then the owner had given another dose. The dogs slept forever when it finally worked lol
pocketpit

Return to Health Issues