Allergic reaction to sunlight?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Allergic reaction to sunlight?

Postby Rumpley » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:55 pm

I was recently searching for a dog for a pre-screened home, and came across one but he was listed as "allergic to sunlight?" Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

My dog has such terrible allergies, I wondered if maybe this was a possibility? Or am I just being my usual hypochondriac self? :))
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Hum???

Postby Rumpley » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:31 am

I guess no one has ever heard of this???? It's the second time I've seen a pit listed as allergic to it :roll:
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ariel Payopay » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:29 am

I've heard of people allergic to sunlight. :dunno:
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Vitaliy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:41 am

I have never heard of anything like allergy to sunlight, the only related thing I can think of is dogs with pink noses are dogs that are lacking pigment and can have some minor problems like sunburn.
Vitaliy

Postby mnp13 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:58 am

Maybe it was extremely susceptable to sun burn? Small blisters from sun exposure could look like an allergy.
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:36 pm

Photosensitivity isn't unheard of, I haven't run into any dogs with it but I wouldn't be at all surprised. I don't know how something like that could be dealt with, life would suck being allergic to the sun. I hope it just lack of pigment.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby PitbullGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:56 pm

Was he previously owned by "the Others"? roflmao
PitbullGirl

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:32 pm

First, I LOVE your new avatar!!! Silly Cedric!

I've never heard of dogs being allergic to sun, but my step-sister is, so if it's possible with people, it's probably possible with dogs. And, to clarify, it's not that she burns fast in the sun (she tans nicely actually), she just gets a rash, which can even turn scabby :yucky: .

Here's a weird one, I have a friend who's skin is sensitive/allergic to water. Seriously, you'd think it'd be impossible, or it was just the soap or something, but it's not. When her skin gets wet (shower, swimming, rain, whatever), even with pure H2O, she gets hives. They go away within a couple hours, but she just always is kind of itchy and gross poor girl.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby pocketpit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:06 am

I had a friend like that too! She developed the condition later in life (like 25-26 yrs old). She found out the scary way one day when she took a trip to the ocean. She was wading around and swimming when it first reared it's ugly head. Since she was completely immersed she had a very severe reaction and almost went into anaphylactic (sp?) shock. For her it's brought on by cold water. Warm or hot water is okay. Still sucks though for her. If she gets even one drop of cold water on her she gets nasty welts and hives.
pocketpit

Postby Rumpley » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:09 am

Heh Chilli, wait till you see the picture of him in his Hawaiian shirt we brought back from our honeymoon lol That'll be the next avatar for sure...

I was just thinking that it would be near to impossible for that dog to get adopted, being listed as "allergic to sunlight". The water allergy is a new one to me as well..
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues