Canidae Dry Kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:47 pm

I'm going back to his usual cheap stuff. He did much better on it anyway.

What was the other food you had him on?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:40 pm

HAHA...DOG CHOW! I just talked to the person at the store where I bought it and she said to give it about a month! I'm not going to put him through these stomach pains for a month. It's a shame, he lays his belly across my legs with his tail tucked under/ears down...not a happy-boy. I know Canidae is supposed to be one of the best but...I think I'll deal with an extra potty trip now and again. I'm also not too happy with the Canidae price either! He also hates the Canidae snap treats. Oh well, his coat always impressed everyone at the vets anyway...Dog-Chow it is! LOLOL
Seriously though, I changed him up because of his allergies and tried to lessen stool volume. I'll stick with an occasional Benadryl. -Nick
Nick

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:13 pm

I wouldn't give him Dog Chow. There are many better foods on the market. If he didn't do well on the Canidae, you should try something of a MUCH higher qualitly than dog chow. Check out this thread, it will help you a lot:

Quality Dog Food
concreterose
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:19 pm

if allergies are your problem.. then i would suggest Wellness fish and sweetpotato. thats what i switched rod too for the same reasons. i highly recomend it. hands down over dog chow.

your pup may look good now, but quality foods are proven to be better for them long term not only for good skin and coat in the mean time.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:51 pm

Thanks, but I'll stay with Dog Chow. I don't feed my kids or myself that healthy of a diet. HAHA, I'll be damned if my dog eats better than us! Even though I do give him some left-overs now and then. My vet assures me that his allergies are seasonal and I agree with that. I got caught up in all this Canidae talk and wanted to try it out...not impressed! Anyway, I'm sure this will not sit well with some, but aside from the whole ingredient issue...kibble is kibble. If I was that worried about his nutrition, I'd go to a real food or barf type diet. -Nick
Nick

Postby Fish » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:35 pm

Nick I don't know how you switched you dog to the new food, you really didn't say, but this has to be a gradual thing. Say 90% old 10% new till the dog gets ajusted to the new food, this in my opion might take two months to get the dog switched to the new food. You sound set on the path your taking, but a better food for your dog is, well a better food for your dog.
Fish

Previous

Return to Health Issues