Spaying my Dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Spaying my Dog

Postby raiyo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:48 pm

Is it true if I spayed my dog she won't be dripping anymore when she is in heat? My brother also has a female dog and he said she doesn't drip. I can't trust him because he doesn't spend a whole lot of time with the dog.

Thx in advance for the inputs.
raiyo

Postby Amy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:00 pm

If you spay your dog, she will not go into heat anymore, therefore, would not "drip" anymore. Spaying is a ovariohysterectomy which means the ovaries and uterus are removed.

Here is a great site on spaying and neutering
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/neuter.htm
Amy

Postby buckaroo » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:52 am

Spaying (and neutering) is a very good idea! There are a lot of health problems you can avoid by spaying your dog. These include cancer, pyometra and others. Both of these can kill your dog and be much more expensive in treating than the 70 or so bucks it costs to spay. Benefits of neutering include avoiding many health problems like cancer and prostate problems. If there is not a specific reason that you are keeping your dog unspayed than I would have it done.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MajickSprings » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:56 pm

Spaying is a good thing. My 3rd dog just got spayed today.
MajickSprings

what age

Postby liltaz600 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:22 am

At what age should my dog be spayed
liltaz600

Postby Ariel Payopay » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:10 am

I did my dog around 6 months. But if I ever get another dog I'm not going to neuter him until 1yr old. That way he can reach his full size. I found out later on that neutering at an early age stunts the dogs growth, etc...
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby jmann4 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:25 am

Most vets will recommend spaying between 4 and 6 months of age. It can however be done later than that. Basically spaying before the first heat cycle is recommended.

People don't realize just how crazy dogs in heat cause male dogs to be. When I was a kid we had a Cocker Spaniel that went into heat and dozens of strange dogs started showing up around our home. My dad got attacked by one and suffers from it to this day. He has nerve damage because of the attack.

Just another reason to spay your dog.
jmann4

Postby Reese » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:16 am

Rel that is interesting that you heard it stunts growth... reese was neutered at 3 months (he was adopted from the spca and their policy is to s/n before adoption) and the vet said that it affected his growth inhibition. therefore he has grown taller than a normal pit... whatever just curious... either way i know an early s/n does affect growth in some capacity....
Reese

Postby Ariel Payopay » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:37 am

My dog has grown taller and not as muscular as his father and mother. And I'll tell you his penis size is alot smaller than the average male dog(s). :(
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Reese » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:52 pm

YES!! Reese's too! Strange isnt it... I am often embarassed for my "little" guy... haha roflmao

All the other dogs probably make fun of him! LOL

I am so glad that I am not the only one who has thougt about this... I never wanted to bring it up because I thought people would think I was a weirdo!
Reese

Postby LeeLoo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:28 pm

If I dont get my girl fixed, how often will she be in heat and how mature does the need to be to safely have pups?
LeeLoo

Spaying vs. pups

Postby Rumpley » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:49 pm

Leeloo - just the fact that you asked that question probably means that your dog having pups would be a LOT more work than you anticipate. She can get pregnant during her first heat which can happen anywhere between 6 - 12 months (young females have a really hard time usually rearing pups.)

Breeding your dog, and caring for her and a litter of pups is not only EXPENSIVE but there are tons of complications that can happen that may endanger her or the puppies. Leave it to the professionals, trust me! Be prepared - you have to have a lot of cash to spend (for meds, food and spay/neuter of the pups) and don't mind keeping the remaining puppies that you can't find a home for for the rest of their lives, and the list goes on and on. That is, if you're going to be a responsible dog owner.

As I'm sure a lot of people here will tell you, the last thing this world needs is more pit bull puppies. Even if you can manage to place your puppies, and most can't place a full litter, the percentages are a few of them will end up in rescue and most likely be euthanized. You are better off spaying your female, not having any more messy heat cycles and helping the breed out as whole by taking good care of your little girl!
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues