What kind of Dog Food does everyone use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby pollypop » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:46 pm

We used to feed our dog Nutro, but she kept having soft stools, so we finally made the decision to switch her over to a homecooked diet. It's working really well so far -- she was beginning to get a little chubby on the Nutro, but since switching to homecooked, she's lost fat and gained muscle tone (even with less exercise because of the cold weather), her fur is softer and shinier, and her gas smells a LOT better. And her poo is tiny! It's not even that expensive to feed this way, maybe $10 a week?

I doubt that I'll ever feed commercial foods again, even really high quality ones. :)
pollypop

Postby phiberoptik » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:24 pm

Bil Jac/Cottage Cheese/small amount of dry food.
phiberoptik

DOG FOOD

Postby kendawg31 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:27 am

I FEED MY PUPPY NUTRO LARGE BREED PUPPY.
kendawg31

Postby twiseowl » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:41 pm

I feed raw. Yummy raw meat, bones, and some liver and other offal. That's it! Easy, fairly inexpensive (unless you feed steak!), small poop, no more bad breath or stinky dog, clean teeth, glossy coat, and a much healthier looking / acting dog!
twiseowl

Postby PitBullMama » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:13 pm

We have two picky dogs! Right now, they are eating Kibbles and Chunks. The Bomber seems to be picky with taste, while Maggie is picky with consistency. She won't eat big pieces or real hard pieces. (don't know why...it's not a healthy issue...she has perfect teeth and no mouth problems) So far, this is one they both agree on. The pieces are a good size and softer.

Both of them are incredibly healthy, so we are going with what works!
PitBullMama

Postby 02buster » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:14 am

buster has a pretty sensitive stomic. he is currently on nutro lamb and rice. and his poo is perfect. but i keep hearing how i could get a better food. what else is out there that is better and good for dogs with sensitive stomics? diamond gave him rocket power poo...
02buster

Postby Ariel Payopay » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:29 am

Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato. www.oldmotherhubbard.com Be aware that when switching your dogs food he might experience diarrhea for the first couple of days.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby 02buster » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:53 am

that wellness looks pretty good. how much does it cost. says its good for skin too.

what else out there is good for dogs with bad skin and easy on the stomic?
02buster

Diamond

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:55 pm

Anybody ever used or heard about Diamond Dog food? I use IAMS now. Why is it bad?
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Matty the WOP » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:37 pm

I use Wellness. It's also spendy, but it's all natural and my "little demons" love it.
Matty the WOP

Postby Matty the WOP » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:40 pm

02buster wrote:that wellness looks pretty good. how much does it cost. says its good for skin too.

what else out there is good for dogs with bad skin and easy on the stomic?

In the Twin Cities I spend about $23 a 15 pound bag after tax. My two pits go through a bag a week.
Matty the WOP

Postby HickGirl » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:48 pm

I use Exceed. I get it from Sam's club. Since I put my Rottie on it, I haven't had any trouble with Demodex.
HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBullMama » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:15 pm

You say you get it from Sam's Club? How is the consistancy? Big pieces? Little pieces?
PitBullMama

Postby HickGirl » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:28 pm

The pieces are probably about 1.25 - 1.5 mm. in diameter. So it is a larger chunck dry dog food. It is rice based, not corn. I get the performance, which is in a yellow bag for more active dogs. It is a higher protein, I think like 23 or 26% (memory fails me right now). I have my 1 year old Mastiff, 2 year old Pit Bull and 10 year old Rottie on it. All the dogs are doing well on it. I used to feed Iams, but they didn't like it.

I buy it from Sam's Club. It is about $19.00 for a 40lb. bag. Plus you can collect the UPC labels and send them in for a rebate of $2.00 per bag.
HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBullMama » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:10 pm

Sounds like a good one. I might have to try that on our dogs. They are so picky!
PitBullMama

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues