Dog not wanting to eat much

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog not wanting to eat much

Postby PitbullGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:28 pm

I have a friend with an adult male Pit who refuses to eat but a few bites at a time and sometimes he'll go a day or two without touching his food. He has done this off and on since a puppy. He's a little underweight but nothing to be too concerned with. He also doesn't like to chew on bones? Any ideas why he would be this way? Other than the food issue, he's healthy and active.
He's fed Nurto Max from the day he was weaned
PitbullGirl

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:32 pm

I would start with keeping the food down for 20 mins or so and then putting it up. He'll eat what he has if he knows it's not always around. I would switch the food to something better and see if the diet is just not sitting well with him. Too much grain in Nutro. And the best way I've seen to get a dog to become very interested in thier food is to have another dog around. :tongue:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby PitbullGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:28 pm

They had another dog but had to rehome him because they weren't getting along...he acted like he didn't even care if the other dog ate all the food...I'll tell her to try putting the food up.
He's never had a problem with Nutro Max before...he was on the puppy formula from the day he was weaned until about 8-9 months old and they switched him to adult formula...all the other dogs from the litter are on Nutro and don't have problems...he's just weird. He'll be two years old in November...if she decides to try switching his food, what would you suggest that wouldn't be too overly difficult to find in small petstores or Petsmart...I've been unable to locate Wellness, Candiae, Innova, Royal Canine or any other good brands around here....the best we can find is Nutro...
Also, he has no real desire to chew bones!! Have you ever heard of a pit that didn't like bones? He has been thrououghly checked by the vet including Dental x-rays and there is nothing they can find that would detire a dog from chewing on bones
PitbullGirl

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:13 pm

All About Pets
3035 Boone Trail Extension
Fayetteville, NC 28304
United States of America

Phone:
910-486-4636

This place is supposed to carry Wellness. I had a period of time where I had these issues with Daisy. She would go days at a time without eating. Though I can't say it was more than a phase. Have they tried adding anything to his food to make it more interesting? Egg, Salmon, Cottage Cheese, etc.?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby elegy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:40 am

did he eat well when he was a pup? maybe he just doesn't like the food.

luce didn't like nutro too much when i had her on it. she'd eat it all, but she picked at it. i switched her to canidae and she is much more enthusiastic about her meals.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:39 am

I have had some foster pups that woldn't eat well because they were stressed. To tempt their appetite I add like a tablespoon or two of wet food along with some hot water. It makes like a gravy and proves to be very delicious.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues