Happy-tail!! How to treat it????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Happy-tail!! How to treat it????

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm sorry if this has been posted a hundred times before, but enter "happy tail" in a search, and you end up with 104 pages of enteries. :wow

So, we have a new foster, and he busted his tail open from wagging in the first 15 seconds that he was here. lol It has stopped bleeding, but I know he is going to do this again. I tried wrapping it with vet tape, and that was off in less than a minute. Suggestions? Anyone have some photos that show how to properly wrap it? Should it be cleaned, should I use polysporin, etc?????
Thanks! :))

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:51 pm

All the many cases I have seen of 'happy taill' at my job....have ended with partial tail amputation, or docking. Hate to be negative, but they seem to just keep on re-busting 'em open!

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:51 pm

ummmmm does you new foster's name start with a T?????

As far as Happy Tail, we've tried bandaging and it doesn't work. We have used polysporin and just watched that the tail is not near anything when Daisy gets happy. We will hold our hand in behind the tail when she wags it, so it doesn't hit and break open.

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:54 pm

I do remember someone once posting that they had used a toilet paper roll to cover the tail and then they bandaged it?? If you can find the thread, maybe that would help.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Jp wrote:ummmmm does you new foster's name start with a T???

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. :tongue: :doggie:

Toliet paper roll- intresting. I may have to try and find that thread.

PBPride- I know, and it sucks. :sad: I really hope he doesn't end up having to go through that.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Nothing worked for us. Every bandage we put on (including one put on by a vet) immediately flew off when he wagged his tail, and he also chewed them all off. :roll:

And of course he busted the wound open every time he wagged, also.

I just persevered with the twice-daily bandaging sessions, and eventually the tail healed up. Took months. And luckily he hasn't reinjured it (knock on wood).

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Wednesday wrote:
Jp wrote:ummmmm does you new foster's name start with a T???

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. :tongue: :doggie:

Toliet paper roll- intresting. I may have to try and find that thread.

:bowdown:

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:47 pm

pitbullpride wrote:All the many cases I have seen of 'happy taill' at my job....have ended with partial tail amputation, or docking. Hate to be negative, but they seem to just keep on re-busting 'em open!

Yeah, Keely had a "happy tail," and now she has a "happy nub." She just kept re-opening the wounds. I felt a sense of loss over her missing tail, but Keely is the same happy girl.

Keely's nub:Image

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:22 pm

Awww... her nub is just as cute as her full tail would have been. :inlove:

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:31 pm

How bad are we talking here. Have you tried liquid skin? IMO it has to be very very bad for a dog to lose his tail over this.

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm with Moto. Daisy's got pretty bad and I had it in my head that it may have to be amputated, but after some effort and time, it's healed pretty nice.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 am

Well, it is hard to say how bad because this is the first time that I have dealt with this. It does bleed easily, but does not look like an giant open sore. More like a few smaller cuts that bleed like crazy. I will try to get some photos of it tommorow. He will be going to the vet for his neuter anyways, so I will get them to check it out. It doesn't look bad enough for it to be amputated, but I do need to know what to do when he is bleeding like that.
Thanks all!

PeasAmber

Postby PeasAmber » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:59 am

I've treated cases of 'Happy-Tail' by cleaning it, putting polysporin on it, and then putting a medicine bottle(the orange or green prescription kind) on the tip of the dogs tail, wrapping gauze around it(basically all the way up the tail, not too tight!) and then wrapping vet tape over that.(The kind that sticks to itself) You might want to try to find a long plastic vial that would go over the tail tip easier, but medicine bottles can work too. Sometimes, dogs will eat this off, but its good to try!

Also, you could try wrapping it in soft guaze just on the tip(after cleaning it, etc., then wrapping vet tape over it.

Here is the pic of the medicine bottle I was talking about:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/co ... ttle03.jpg

Here is the fatter one that works, but sometimes not as well:

http://www.notdoneliving.net/cognitive/ ... 52x275.jpg

Here is a diagram! (Made in MS Paint, lol)

Return to “Health Issues”