Concerned about heavy breathing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nwo

Concerned about heavy breathing

Postby nwo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:29 pm

So, I've had my new girl for about a week now (she's 5 mo old) and she seems to have some very strange breathing patterns at times.

I've had her to the vet twice in the last week.. both for worm issues (taken care of now, afaik), but periodically, especially when she's asleep or about to fall asleep, she begins breathing VERY heavily as if she had just run a mile.. her tongue sticks out and she pants as if she's winded, even though she hasn't DONE anything.

This concerns me a little.. she's had blood work done, a gram test, fecal exam, cardiac check, etc.. nothing remarkable.. but I'm still concerned of something going on.

Any ideas? I've never seen a dog do this. Could it just be "her"?

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:42 pm

All three I have had did this for short periods of time and it totally freaked me out every time. I have no idea what caused it but there was never anything conclusive to nail it to. I'd ask your vet.

nwo

My concerns

Postby nwo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:58 pm

My concerns are that it's like, DCM or heart worms.. so far this as been the most expensive dog I've ever owned.. even my wifes fully papered and pedigreed pointer was less after totalling up the last weeks vet bills and stuff.. lol

She's worth it though.. but I would HATE to have invested this amount in to her only to find out that my new best friend has something terminal like DCM (which, apparently is especially rampant amongst boxers and pitbulls)

I'm going to call her vet tomorrow and see if I can't make an emergency appointment for her to do further testing to rule out both DCM and heart worms.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:49 am

It may be an elongated soft palate, I believe that makes them breathe heavy too

good luck I hope it is nothing major

when does the dog breathe strangly???

nwo

Postby nwo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:07 am

She breathes abnormally when she's sleeping.. and then periodically when she's up and about.

She's very lethargic, too.. but I was associating that with her bout of worms.

I called the vet today and he's going to be calling me back.

Return to “Health Issues”