Yum. Euthanized dogs as an ingredient!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby mnp13 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:19 pm

elegy wrote:ok call me naive but i don't think there are euthanized cats and dogs in there. horses, yes. but cats and dogs... i doubt it.

i wouldn't feed any of the foods on that list anyway, so....

Do some research on rendering - ANY protein source that is available is used. Check out some of the links I posted on the other thread - euthanized pets are rendered for their protein every day.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby abman » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:34 am

There are definitely dogs and cats in some foods. They throw in euthanized animals and even leave the collars on. Studies have been done on various dog foods where a euthanizing chemical has been found. Levels of flea medicine has also been found which suggests that flea collars are often included. Anything for a buck these days.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 pm

There's a rendering plant down south of me. Baker Commodities. They have sub-contractors that go to the vet clinics and pick up the euthanized animals. They have huge semis that travel down the freeway with euth'd cows and horses in the back, I've seen the loads, not enclosed trailers but the open topped "junk" haulers. I can't even begin to tell you how close I came to puking in my car when I saw the horse and cow hooves sticking up. They have huge tankers that travel to the restaurants to pick up the "used up" or "out of date" frying oils. There are pics if you care to search for them of dogs and cats in 50 gallon drums waiting to be thrown in the rendering vat. Sometimes they don't even bother taking them out of the bags the vet stores them in. They are rendered at about 190 degrees, not hot enough to destroy the pento or any other drug they may have been on. Can you imagine the amount it takes to euth a 1000# horse? A 60# dog takes about 10cc of pento(please correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) so I guess conservatively it would be about 20 times that for a horse. I don't know about you but that's very disturbing to me........ that's a lot of that drug floating around in those foods. I don't even want to go into the pain killers and anti-inflammatories a lot of those horses were on prior to euthing........as a general rule. We plan on burying the horses in the lower acres..........we've already started a pet cematary down there.........no way my babies will be fed to anyone but the earth.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:15 pm

I plan on getting my dogs cremated (and keeping the ashes) when they pass on.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Boo439 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:57 am

concreterose wrote:I plan on getting my dogs cremated (and keeping the ashes) when they pass on.

That's what I did. Luckily I worked at a vet and a) they'd never give me the wrong bag to take to get cremated and b) I used to work at the HS and they let me stay while they cremated the remains. It took a while, but it was worth it to know that was my pet and my pet only in the ashes. They even cleaned the oven and bone/ash tray real well before cremating Jerry and Mugen.
Boo439

Previous

Return to Health Issues