skin problems...w/pics

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

skin problems...w/pics

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:46 am

well things have been better with wellness but i guess it could only last for so long. this is what happened after i gave rod a bath this week. yet another reason i hate giving him baths.

i bathe him with medicated shampoo to help him with the big spots. it helps but then causes these little bumps everywhere.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:59 am

oh man, poor Rod. :sad: That sucks Damein. If sure it wears you out trying to patch the boy up all the time. Hope something comes up to straighten him out.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jamobi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:05 am

Rod could be allergic to the fabric softener or detergent your using on his bath towel and/or sleeping area. Jamo broke out in hives like that whenever we used Tide laundry detergent on his stuff and our blankets and sheets. We finally tracked down what it was and changed to arm and hammer laundry detergent. Also could there be something in the water he's allergic too? Give him only spring water for a couple of days and see if that helps. Go through a process of elimination on everthing that he ingests and comes in contact with. Good luck.
jamobi

Postby gooeydog » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:53 pm

Our older dog used to break out with a similar looking rash once in a while after baths. I've since stopped using a conditioner (and always use the same shampoo), soap her up, rinse, pour a 50/50 vinegar/water mix over her (gets rid of any residue left by the shampoo), let her sit for a few seconds, then rinse again. I've also read to lather only with the grain of the hair, not in circles, as it can irritate the hair follicle and cause a rash. No more rash for her, though she does smell like a salad until she's dry :roll:

Of course, every dog is different, so no telling whether what works for my dog will work for yours, but can't hurt to try if you think it might.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:27 pm

yeah i basically go with the grain as much as possible. i have a nonsoap shampoo which works great, but i wanted to use the medicated one due to the condition his skin was already in. maybe ill blow dry him instead of towel dry lol . and that vineger mix sounds like a good idea.

is there any kind of bath i can give him to soothe his skin. maybe oatmeal or milk or something???
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:45 pm

Poor Rod :sad:
Have you tried giving him an Aveeno bath? If there's a Whole Foods or other store that sells all natural products, you could look for an oatmeal bath there too. I used to have to give them to Pookie all the time. When she was younger she had pretty bad skin allergies in the summer.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:05 pm

My Ace broke out exactly like that several times a few months ago. It was alsays a few days after a bath so it took me a little while to figure it out. I guess I just wasn't rinsing well enough. I started giving the pooches a shower instead of a bath, I was able to rinse better this way.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby katch22 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:08 pm

Pete got the same bumps on his stomach. Does Rod have inhilant allergies? Pete is on Attarax and it is helping with his alergies.
katch22

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:25 pm

ill have to look into attarax. the antibiotics are a 1.25 each pill, so i'd like to catch it before it gets to that point.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:40 pm

I actually use an organic hemp soap on the dogs for baths, we bath in the back yard because of the septic system. All that hair tends to lead to clogs..........$$$$cha-ching. I dilute it to death(a quarter size dolop in an 8oz bottle) so there's not a lot of residue and doesn't take forever to rinse.

Attarax is the generic name for hydroxazine. It's a very strong antihistamine. It's quite expensive but small amounts go a long way, I use about 2 teaspoons for my horse a day. One of the uncommon side effects is seizures(lets hear it for pugs :sad: ). There are so many possibilties it boggles the mind when it comes to this stuff. I wish you the best of luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby katch22 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:58 pm

Yes. Two of my dogs have severe inhalant allergies and are both on Attarax. I have a great vet who tries his best to sell at cost. They haven't really had any side effects, but I give them two pills per day and only during the late summer season. Good Luck!
katch22

Postby SKoth » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:17 pm

Damien-
If it is an allergy you can try benadryl or preferably a cost effective generic version. Make sure that the active ingredient is "Diphenhydramine." You can give Rod two(50mg) every 8hours. If it is an allergy it should really help. It may not be until the second dose that you notice a difference. And don't worry, it won't have a sedative effect on him like it would on us. This helps Anwar hope this helps Rod!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:41 pm

i've been giving him benedryl.. i guess i should be more consistan with it.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby yuk237 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:25 pm

Hey Damien,

My trainor has been talking to me about essential oils. There great for all different kinds of promblems. I was looking throught a book I have and found one for skin allergies. It is called Niaouli. You can look online for just look up essential oils and Niaouli there also some more for bad skin allergies if you look around. Hope this helps a little with your pup.
Ps. Lavender is a good one to. :)
yuk237

Postby Awesome_PIT » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:48 pm

Damien,

My puppy has similar red spots on his stomach. They dont seem to hurt or itch he doesnt pay any attention to them. Could they be from detergent. They come and go, he has none right now??
Awesome_PIT

Next

Return to Health Issues