Weight Lost

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Weight Lost

Postby Mr_ViPeR » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:11 am

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a weight lost issue.

The stomach part of my dog seems to have gotten skinner by the month, disregard how many times I have feed him. He still seems to be getting thinner and thinner. I have try to feed him "Can" food (Chum, Pedigree, Lucky Dog) and even "Dry" food, twice a day (one in the morning and one at night)

From the front chest to his head and back part of his body are getting bigger. But the stomach and weist are getting thinner, you can nearly see the "rib" bones.

I have taken him to the vet numerous of time for the past 3 months and the Vet have said the same thing "nothing is wrong with him".

Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S: This is my first American Pit Bull dog.
His 1 year and 2 months old[/img]
Mr_ViPeR

Postby Ariel Payopay » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:03 am

Sounds like your dog is fit to me. If his chest and front of his body is getting muscular and if his stomach tucks that's a good thing. Seeing 2 or 3 of his lower ribs means he isn't fat but fit. But anymore then there might be a problem. Have you been exercising him or walking alot with him? That could explain why he is having these physical changes. Check this site out.. www.apbtconformation.com If that's your dog in the avatar, he looks fine and beautiful!
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Fish » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:25 am

I agree with Ariel but for your own piece of mind get a second oppion, from a different Vet.
Fish

Re: Weight Lost

Postby moto1320 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:38 am

Mr_ViPeR wrote:you can nearly see the "rib" bones.

The rib bones are supposed to be lightly visable. Anything more on a pit and it is over weight. Sounds like your dog is just filling out well. Get him on some quality food and you will see him put on ever more muscle most likely. Health benefits aside....If the dog in your avatar is the one in question he looks good to me. Throw up so pics and welcome to the board. :)
moto1320
Regulator

Postby pollypop » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:21 am

He sounds like he is in good shape; however, have you taken a fecal sample to the vet? If he is losing weight even though you are feeding him more, and if you and he haven't changed your activity level, it could be worms.

Do you have any pictures of him from the side? Perhaps from before he started losing weight, and from now that he's skinnier?
pollypop

Postby JB » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:28 am

My dog's stomach is really skinny. She's almost a year old. She's putting on muscle in the shoulders and hind legs and gaining weight (have you put your dog on a scale?) so that makes her stomach look even skinnier.

Anyway, my dog looks like a bone rack (especially compared to pure bred pits), and every time I go to the vet she goes nuts over the dogs condition.
JB

Postby Mr_ViPeR » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:35 am

Yes, i recently had a second opinion from a differenet VET. They both have mention the same thing, "your dogs in good condition". He has been vaccinated with Worm and I've been giving him a heart tablet every 3 months...

His weight has drop from 28.1kilos to 26kilos, from the previous VET checkup. :sad:

But so far, he has been eating more then usual. With the new dog food, I've bought from the VET. It might be because of the food I've been feeding him (Chum, Pedigree or Lucky Dog). So, I'll see how it goes for another week.
Mr_ViPeR

Postby moto1320 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:43 am

26-28 Kilos is just fine for a pit. it's reaching the high end of the breed standard actually. Again, you really need a better food. Bull breeds seem to be particularly intolerant to all of that corn. The servings will be less with the good stuff but will contain much more nutrition.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues