Nadja's spay (or: What They Found In My Dog)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nadja's spay (or: What They Found In My Dog)

Postby pollypop » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:08 pm

:po: :wallbang: :po: :wallbang: :wallbang: :po: :wallbang:

I took Nadja in for her spay today. I also wanted her teeth examined, and wanted to get her hips x-rayed, because she's very wobbly when she walks, limps on her left leg, and shows signs of pain after too much exercise.

During the spay my vet discovered a mass of some sort in one of Nonny's ovaries, so we're going to send that off for a biopsy. Think healthy thoughts for her, please? I hope it's benign. I guess we'll know in a few days.

Her teeth were good though! Yay!

The x-rays revealed -- get this -- either a bb pellet or buckshot lodged in her left thigh. No wonder she's limping. No wonder, also, that she gets so terribly spooked by strangers holding items in their hands. You think maybe, just maybe, it could be because SOMEONE SHOT HER?!?!?

I am having extreme rage moments towards her previous owners. They better hope they NEVER, EVER meet me in a dark alley.

I'm gonna go pick her up in an hour. I hope she's not in too much pain right now. I feel so bad that she's had to go through all this, at her age! I'm incredibly glad, however, that I got her spayed. Hopefully this thing in her ovary is either benign or was caught in time. :pray
Last edited by pollypop on Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pollypop

Postby ajarvis » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:13 pm

Thats horrible! I hope shes alright and I hope the biopsy comes back with good news for you and Nadja!
ajarvis

Postby BabyReba » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:24 pm

oh, what a nightmare. poor nonny! she's so lucky you were able to take her in and give her a real life.

i hope she's going to be OK!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby pibbles and bits » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm

when i lived in virginia, we owned two dobermans, argo and duchess. argo would sometimes get out, and mind you, he was the sweetest dog alive. i loved to play with him, and i was about 7 years old. well, he got out, and some dumbass shot him, because of his breed. right in the ribs. luckily, he didn't die, but its so infuriating, that people will do that just for for the hell of it! :po:
pibbles and bits

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:37 pm

Fingers and paws crossed this way for Nadja...I definitely know how you feel!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby TahyosMom » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 pm

The 2 pups and I send prayers her way. Our neighbors weenie dog was shot and killed with a BB gun a few years ago. It's sad that there are hateful bastards in this world.
TahyosMom
Adolescent Bully

Postby phez718 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:50 pm

:sad: Aww, poor Nadja. Casey and I are sending you guys some Get Well thoughts :)
phez718

Postby pollypop » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:33 am

Thanks, guys. I'm worried but not terrified, if you know what I mean. Whatever it is, we'll deal with it.

I sort of halfway considered whether I should spay her or not, considering that at her age, it would probably be pretty hard on her to go through surgery. I am so so so immeasurably glad I made the right choice. Otherwise, we would never have known, until it was far too late.

About the bullet -- I have to wonder what other kinds of crazy things may have happened to her in her previous life!

How's Pookie doing, BTW? Is she good?
pollypop

Re: Nadja's spay (request for health-causing vibes)

Postby JB » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:44 am

pollypop wrote:The x-rays revealed -- get this -- either a bb pellet or buckshot lodged in her left thigh. No wonder she's limping. No wonder, also, that she gets so terribly spooked by strangers holding items in their hands. You think maybe, just maybe, it could be because SOMEONE SHOT HER?!?!?

That crazy!

Years ago a friend of mine brought his dog along with him when he helped me move into a new apt. The dog walked into my bedroom while I was taking a hammer to the pins of one of the closet doors. The second the dog saw the hammer up in the air she pissed on the floor and ran out of the room. My friend told me that the dog had the same reaction to him taking his belt off one night.

The dog's name is shooter. He found her at the side of the road with a bullet in her one night, took her to the vet and kept her.
JB

Postby JB » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:46 am

ps. I'm sure your dog will be fine. Hope she has a speedy recovery.
JB

Postby tuesdaysmom » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:56 am

I cannot believe anyone could ever shoot a dog for no reason, it's just down right cruel it's like shooting a four year old child. GEEEZ. Unless you are in extreme danger and have a viscious dog charging that is the only way to shoot. I'm glad you got her spayed and I hope she's fine. :))
tuesdaysmom

Pookie

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:03 pm

pollypop wrote:How's Pookie doing, BTW? Is she good?

Check your PM :)
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 pm

How did things turn out with Nadja?? Any updates???
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pollypop » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:06 pm

I haven't heard anything about the biopsy yet. The vet said it would be two or three days, and that was Wednesday night, so I expect it'll be any day now. She promised she'd call me as soon as she knew anything. I think that she's concerned about the mass but doesn't want to say anything until she knows for certain -- it's just the impression that I get.

Nonny's still feeling low, but she's a lot better than she was yesterday. Her incision looks great!

I tried massaging her leg to see if I could feel the bullet, but it must be pretty well embedded in the muscle, because I can't feel it at all. :crybaby:
pollypop

Postby hyperbole » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:24 pm

Poplin and I have our paws & fingers crossed!!!!

I'm sure she will be ok.

:thumbsup:
hyperbole

Return to Health Issues