ear cropping.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

ear cropping.....

Postby FantomsDad » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:51 am

Ok, I have to admit I like the look that ear cropping gives. But besides looks I really don't see any other reason. I heard that it you don't have to clean the dogs ears as much. Exactly how much pain does the dog go through? Than would by my biggest argument of why not to crop. Because I know I don't won't my dog to feel one ounce of pain and I'd go to great lenghts to not let that happen. And I'm sure it's the same with everybody else on here. Ya the vet might give you pills to reduce the pain but the fact is the dog will be in pain, period. I mean it just dosent seem write to put your dog threw pain just for a personal look that you want. I just wanted to hear some of the reasons you guys crop ears. Maybe I missed something. Someone please enlighten me.
FantomsDad
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:59 am

The only reason to crop ears is cosmetic - There are no proven medical benefits.

No one knows how painful the procedure is - I tend to think of it along the lines of circumcision, it's not necessary, it is painful - But they won't remember it and it will cause no long-term damage/harm.

It is a personal decision, many feel it is inhumane, but that is their personal opinion, not fact. Most anti-croppers are very passionate and tend to get quite rude, but don’t let that sway your decision. It’s YOUR dog, and s/he’s not going to hate you for it (or even remember once the stitches are out, for that matter).

I have had one APBT cropped - Luna, my newest baby. It wasn't that big of a deal at all, just had to leave her 'cone' on so she couldn't scratch her stitches out, and clean them and put ointment on them every night - Neither of wich bothered her in the least.

I love her ears now, and I'm glad I did it. If I could go back, I would do it again - Depending on the individual dog, I will probably consider cropping with every APBT I ever own, because I personally like the look.

For more info, do a search on the forum on 'Cropping' - This has been discussed many times here.

- Jaqueline
:peace:

Luna's the baby in the middle:
JaquelineC

Postby mnp13 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:07 am

Yes, it hurts the dogs. No, it does no lasting physical or emotional harm.

If you get it done, get it done by a vet who can give you references - and LOTS of them.

It is 99.9% cosmetic. It does not prevent or cause medical problems. I'm sure there are a few dogs out there who had to be cropped for medical reasons, but I would imagine those were adults, not puppies.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby stillhoneymooning » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:09 am

If you don't want to put your dog through needless pain, then don't crop. It's that simple. I'm not one to call for a ban on cropping, but it's really pointless and has no benefit other than cosmetic, if you like that kind of thing. Frankly, I wouldn't change my girl's floppy ears for anything, and the only pain I'll ever put her through is for her own protection (shots, microchipping, etc)!

Heather
stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby FantomsDad » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:43 am

sry JaquelineC i didnt realize how many times this subject has been beatin 2 death. Go ahead lock this thread if you want to I don't want things to get heated. Im reading through the other threads now.

I think I would like to adopt a dog that has cropped ears. That way I get the look I want but I can still say it wasnt my choice.

Im not total 100% agasint ear cropping. In fact before pit bulls I was into dobermans. And I certainly know I would have gotten my dobes ears cropped. I think it is a total different dog. Look at you doberman from England then look at an American one. Which is more impressive and better looking? I think ear cropping also shows the length an owner will go for their dog. Spending more time and money certainly dosent go unnoticed. Dosent gettin you nipple piecered hurt? But you think it looks good so you did it. Just my opinion. I guess I'm kinda on both sides I can see both of you points.
FantomsDad
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Alpha_Male » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:54 am

FantomsDad wrote:Dosent gettin you nipple piecered hurt?

I can say, it didn't hurt that bad.. but it was my body and my choice.. wasn't inflicting any pain on another being.

to each his own, or course. The breeder i got Al from said his father's ears were flopping in two different directions, so he got them cropped. Al's ears have gone through about 8 stages since i got him, and now they are nice little rose prick, and stand up when he's alert. i like both looks. but al wouldn't be near as cute with his ears missing. ha
Alpha_Male

Postby blover27 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:40 pm

I think ear cropping also shows the length an owner will go for their dog.

Brandon...I'm gonna keep this real short...that's crap :twisted: roflmao
blover27

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:42 pm

blover27 wrote:
I think ear cropping also shows the length an owner will go for their dog.

Brandon...I'm gonna keep this real short...that's crap :twisted: roflmao

I'm pro-choice, but but I agree with Blover - The only thing cropping your dogs ears shows is that you like the cropped look.
JaquelineC

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:15 pm

JaquelineC wrote:Image

thast an awesome picture!
elizer

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:16 pm

Thanks Elizer! :)) - Please excuse Deegan's 'manhood' :oops: :tongue:
JaquelineC

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:38 pm

haha i noticed the red beacon as well...
didn't want to say anything
i think a couple of guys here have been cought with a little beacon as well
:oops:
elizer

Postby deltron » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:22 pm

FantomsDad wrote:I think I would like to adopt a dog that has cropped ears. That way I get the look I want but I can still say it wasnt my choice.

I think this is an AWESOME idea, because the cropped ears turn some people off for adopting. You could feel extra good about the adoption!
deltron

Return to Health Issues