adoption question

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

adoption question

Postby FantomsDad » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:00 am

Has anybody had a large breed of dog say around one year and then introduced an adult pit bull? By the way things are going thats what it's looking like is gonna happen for me. Did you go threw any fites? What problems did you have? Would you do the same thing if you could rewind time or would you go to a breeder? Just wonderin.
FantomsDad
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby spane1 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:00 pm

I can only answer your last question. Since I have no interest in showing a dog or competing with a dog, I have and will only ever adopt/rescue.

Jack and Tiger (my cat) both came from local shelters and I wouldn't change a thing. :inlove:

Sarah
spane1

introducing an adult pit to resident dog

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:35 pm

when i foster adult pits i have 3 adult dogs- rottie , GSD, pit mix. i keep them totally separated for a week and just let them get used to the smell of the new foster here. after a week, i allow one dog to walk past the fosters crate on leash so the foster and the resident dog meet seeing each other. if the foster or my dog dont try to crate fight, i do this for another week. if things go well, i have my husband take the foster to the fenced in yard on leash, and i take my one dog on leash onthe outside of the fence to walk but not meet. if that goes well then they can meet thru the fence. if that goes well after one more week then we take both dogs for a walk far apart. its a slow tedious project, and its better if the dogs are opposite sex. not saying a fight wont break out, though. keep all food toys, bones off the floor at alll times, only allow toys and bones in their crates w/the doors shut and locked. sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt. i always keep my fosterson leash the entire time they are here, this way i have a break in breaking up a fight if it happens. after that then i start all over again w/ the second dog here, then the third. i never let them all play together, ever. it takes about 2 weeks to a month for the foster dog to come out of its shell to feel comfortable in the house. you have to be very patient and diligent. and, very careful.
Maryellen

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs