Premium Edge

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Premium Edge

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:22 am

In the Wellness thread there was a question about this food. I did a quick search on it and it didn't read to terribly bad. It's not great, somewhere on par with Royal Canin which is outside my top 10.

I would like to see a little less grain in it. Most of the formulas have rice twice, whole grain brown(which is white rice with the hull still on it) and white. Some of them have rice and corn(lamb formula if I'm not mistaken) and one has potato, rice and corn. For dogs that have allergies, and for pits that's becoming a significant problem, most of these grains should be avoided. Hard to do I know but that's my opinion.

Their "low carb" formula is a bit disturbing to me. 44% protein and only 10% fat is way out of whack. If they could prove that most of that is meat protein maybe I would go for it but they still need to up the fat. If you put more meat than grain in a food the dog will lose weight regardless. Increasing the protein isn't the answer, increasing the MEAT based protein is. I didn't look at the cat food formula cuz I'm sure I would have groaned. Hope this helps some.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby D » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:31 pm

thanks barbponys,I had to put my pup on it.He wouldnt eat the wellness.
D

Postby wndrtwns04 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:09 pm

I switched Sam to Premium Edge. It's made by Diamond. I just changed from their other formula, Chicken Soup. I may be the only person that really likes it but Sam looks great on it. It's maybe not the best, but its a great price and its a thousand times better than what is sold in the grocery stores. :headbang:
wndrtwns04

Postby D » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:04 pm

y did u change from soup
D

Postby wndrtwns04 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:44 pm

All the pet stores around me stopped carrying it and when I went to my usual place, they recommended Premium Edge. Once I realized it was the same company and Edge seems to have a little better numbers when it came to ingredients I decided to give it a go. It's been about a month and no issues so far. Actually Sam has shed a little less.
wndrtwns04

Postby turtle » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:01 pm

I posted this on the thread barbponys mentioned at the top of this thread before I saw this topic so thought I would post the same here since this is about the Premium Edge food.

Has anyone tried the new Premium Edge Adult Dog Skin & Coat kibble? I used to feed the Adult Chicken Premium Edge and it was a decent food. I see they have improved a lot of the formulas and brought out this new food for dogs with skin problems.

It looks like a good food to me, it has Salmon and Salmon Meal for the first 2 ingredients. Here is a link:

www.premiumedgepetfood.co..._page.html

Might be a good alternative to the Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato and other allergy foods.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:06 pm

I don't think it would work as an allergy formula since they use rice in it twice. The Salmon and barley are a good idea but they need to take out the rice for it to really work. Too many dogs can't tolerate it.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:46 pm

If you put more meat than grain in a food the dog will lose weight regardless.

That might explain why my dogs are LEAN. They are on a completely grain-free diet, as Gage is allergic to every grain I've tried (including oatmeal, flax, rye, and barley). Now that he's older, his allergies are much less severe, and he does get bits of wheat here and there when I give him treats or table scraps. Also, if I'm low on mash and don't feel like making more up, I'll sometimes mix some oatmeal into their food to bulk it up a bit. At this point, I probably could start using grains, but I suspect if grains become a staple allergies will return, and I read that dogs with joint problems (like Angel) should avoid grains?

I do sometimes feel bad that my dogs look so freakin' skinny, but I KNOW they get enough to eat, and the vet says they're perfect weightwise, so I guess it's just that I (and everyone else) likes a roly poly pooch.

A couple questions for you barbponys:

1)I read this big blurb about how people with joint problems should avoid foods from the nightshade family alltogether (eggplant, white potatoes, tomatoes) - would the same apply to dogs? How valid do you think that information is? Angel LOVES tomatoes, and while she doesn't get a lot of them, she does get them once in a while.

2)Any idea why my dogs still poop so much even on raw? Gage poops 4-5 times a day, 1-2 cups a pop. Angel is better with 1-2 times a day, Sugar is usually 2-3 times a day. Their stools are good, firm, not stinky, dry up to a white chalky powder within the day (gotta love raw diet), I just don't get why there's so freakin' much of it!!! Could you imagine the volume of crap I'd be dealing with if they were on a diet with fillers, like a kibble?! YIKES! Seriously though, have you ever heard of raw fed dogs pooping so much? Their diet is abouy 75% RMB, 15% ground beef, and 10% veggies, offal, and fish, etc. They get yogurt, kelp, fish oil, apple cider vinegar, and ginger added to their mash meals.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:42 pm

Gf,
Yes it's true about the nightshade family. Along with peppers, green, red, yellow etc. I shouldn't eat them or tomotoe's but I do. I think the key is moderation, I tend to be stupid and eat whole orange and yellow peppers. Sometimes one after the other. Damned if my back isn't b!thching at me the next day, and my hands??? Oh dear God.

I know of several dogs that have large stool volume on a raw diet. Garion eats a lot of raw and his varies. Somtimes I wonder when it will stop. I know it doesn't really make sense but I figure it's like us. Some people have slow systems others are.............. regular as clock work. As long as he's healthy and nothing is nagging I wouldn't really worry about it. The thought of feeding medium grade food with tons of grain is just gross. The smell, the mess........EWWWWW! I don't even want to think about the shedding and..............
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby HugABull1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:51 am

Thanks for the reply barbponys :))

I have arthritis myself (rheumatoid - and I'm only 24, nice huh? :crybaby: :po: ), but I can't imagine not eating tomatoes or red peppers, I LOVE them!!!

I think I will make sure not to put red pepper in Angel's mash in future though, and only give her tomato once in a while.

As for the poopin' I guess I just have to live with it :roll: could be worse though - raw fed poop is WAY better than the other stuff, almost no smell at all!

Question - do your raw fed doggers still fart like crazy? My pitties are total fart machines - it's not quite as rank as when they were on kibble (except Angel aka garbage-ass), but it's not exactly aromatic lol. They actually pass wind audibly all the time, company always rolls their eyes and all but says "yeah right" when we tell them it was the dog! lol
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Return to Health Issues