EMERGENCY: Ruby ate ibuprofen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

EMERGENCY: Ruby ate ibuprofen

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:41 pm

I have already called the vet, fed her, made her vomit with hydrogen peroxide and then gave her milk and water in the attempt to make her vomit some more or keep her hydrated (either is fine)

I left her in my car and looked out the window of the house and saw her eating/chewing in the trunk area of my station wagon. Oops - I left the Cheeseits back there. Oh well. When I went out 15-20 minutes later the Cheeseits box was undesturbed and the bottle of ibuprophen was open and spread all over the trunk.

It is a 1000 tablet bottle and was not full so I have no idea how much she ate or if she ate any at all. It was a mix of different brands, including Advil - which they eat because of the candy coating.

Ok, fine, I'm stupid. We'll leave it at that. She is smart - she opened (did NOT chew) a 'childproof' bottle.

I've read about 10 webpages full of doom and gloom. I may have killed my dog.

Has anyone else's dog eaten ibuprofen? What did you do? What were the follow up treatments? What was the outcome?

Thanks,

Michelle

**note to moderators: I know this probably belongs in the 'Health' forum, but I needed it to be as visible as possible and I would guess 'General' is the most popular forum. If you wouldn't mind, could it stay here for a bit so more people see it and offer help/suggestions? Thanks.
Last edited by mnp13 on Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnp13

Postby pblove » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:53 pm

The vet didn't want her in to moniter her??
I would also call a poison control center a.s.a.p. I kknow that The A.S.P.C.A. has one.
I gave a dog motrin many years ago, just one a day for 2 days, the vet freaked when I told him. It was not a good outcome due to cancer the dog had.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:53 pm

***genuinely trying not to sound rude or condescending***

Why was she left in the car?
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:55 pm

Sorry this happened and that I really can't help you. Just felt the need to say sorry. Gator ate a hole box of Imodium AD. That was funny but way different, I hope everything turns out OK. Good luck! Did you take her to the Vet
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:59 pm

JCleve86 wrote:***genuinely trying not to sound rude or condescending***

Why was she left in the car?

Because she is afraid of the drier (severe panic/anxiety) and Demo was doing laundry at the house. So I brought her to my aunts with me because I had to show her something on the computer. My aunt is deathly allergic to dogs, so she was in the car while I was in there. I could see her out the window of the house, and all of the car windows were open and the car was in the shade. Heat was not an issue or laundry would have been done later.

This is standard parctice with Ruby because of the washer/drier/dishwasher problem. She normally just hangs out and waits for me to come back out and get her. She has never chewed anything in the car or been destructive. This is a first.

That's not rude, I would have asked someone the same thing.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby jmann4 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:15 pm

I'm not sure what I would do, but hope Ruby is okay. Sorry I've never had this problem or know anyone who has.
jmann4

Postby buckaroo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:40 pm

I would have the vet check her liver functions.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BullyBud » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:44 pm

I am so sorry for this...my thoughts are with you. Please also call Poison control, they are the experts.
BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby heatherlyn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Definitely bring her to the vet right away, don't delay!

I have a friend who's dog got into a bottle of ibuprophen and almost died even with veterinary assistance for several days. There are also long term health risks as well, depending on how much she consumed. This dog recovered for the most part, she was just a puppy when it happened and she's several years old now and is okay for the most part, no signs of kidney failure or seizures.

I hope Ruby didn't eat many, how scary! Just get her to the vet right away! Thinking good thoughts for you two ...
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:55 pm

How is pup doing?? Dogs are tough, I suspect she will be fine, especially since you got her to :yucky: right away.

Butchie ate 28 extra strong anti-biotic pills once and scared the crap out of me. Turns out they were beef flavored?? Who would have thought. I made him puke, rushed him to vet, and vet was like, Oh, no problem and gave him some Milk of Magnesium to bind something to something. Dog was fine. Ate dinner that night like we were all nuts to worry!

I'm curious about the car question? Am I the only one who takes my dogs in my car???????? WTF? Why wouldn't she take her dog in her car with her? Geez, I can't remember the last time I got in my vehicle WITHOUT a dog!!!! I'm scratching my head over that one... :huh?:
Diane Jessup

Re: re

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:00 pm

Diane Jessup wrote:How is pup doing?? Dogs are tough, I suspect she will be fine, especially since you got her to :yucky: right away.

That's the problem with Ruby, she's pretty laid back anyway so it's hard to tell if she's being lethargic.

Diane Jessup wrote:I'm curious about the car question? Am I the only one who takes my dogs in my car???????? WTF? Why wouldn't she take her dog in her car with her? Geez, I can't remember the last time I got in my vehicle WITHOUT a dog!!!! I'm scratching my head over that one... :huh?:

I'm with you there. If it is cool/warm enough outside Ruby goes with me everywhere. She would rather wait for me in the car than be crated or even be left with someone else to watch her. I take here everywhere that I can - and if we are driving past a pet shop I usually stop so that we can go in even when I don't plan to buy anything.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby damienApbt » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:00 pm

the questions was aimed at the fact that ruby was LEFT in the car not accompanied michelle in the vehicle. which michelle gave a good and responsible answer...of course :thumbsup:
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:02 pm

My question wasn't about taking a dog in the car...believe me...my car doesn't have cloth interior anymore...its Boxer Fur! I was asking about leaving her in the car. The story stirred up the image of a ghetto punk who thought leaving the dog in the car was good shelter. Didn't think about who the poster was until after I asked...otherwise I probably wouldn't have. (not likely that Michelle would abuse her dog in that fashion...or in any other way really)
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby concreterose » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:12 pm

Michelle, I hope and pray Ruby stays well. Did you take her to the emergency vet? Fingers and paws are crossed over here!

JCleve86 wrote:I was asking about leaving her in the car

I leave one of my dogs in the car all the time. I can't take them in every store with me, though I would like to.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:13 pm

I'm sorry Michelle. Keep us posted. I had a near miss myself last night...things happen. I'm sure Ruby will be cool.
moto1320
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues