EMERGENCY: Ruby ate ibuprofen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby hyperbole » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:24 pm

I hope Ruby is ok.... :pray

We're thinking about you guys.
hyperbole

er

Postby Diane Jessup » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:25 pm

Glad that got cleared up!!!! I was like, whoa, NOBODY TAKES their dogs in the car????? Thought I had woke up on a strange planet!

Actually, I leave my (new) car door open (Honda CRV) as old Grip loves to sleep in it, and the terriers also. Hey, its just a $16,000 dog house!!!! And I agree, my dogs love to just go. They don't mind rotting in the car, as they get to look at funny people go by. roflmao

Well, Fletch and I are off to buy a new shade tree for his kennel. The Golden Chain tree just ain't cutting it in our BLISTERING 80 degree NW weather!!! :))
Diane Jessup

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:34 pm

I leave one of my dogs in the car all the time. I can't take them in every store with me, though I would like to.

[/quote]I leave my (new) car door open (Honda CRV) as old Grip loves to sleep in it, and the terriers also. Hey, its just a $16,000 dog house!!!! And I agree, my dogs love to just go. They don't mind rotting in the car, as they get to look at funny people go by.

That I have no problem with. When I'm out and about with my dogs, I'll leave them in there if I must run in the store or get some gas. I'm thinking of dogs LIVING in cars, I guess, rather than just hanging out there for a bit when they are out on the town. But dang folks...didn't think it would be such a controversy!
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:35 pm

lol I'm a dork...forgot to end quote DJ's statement...bottom "quote" is my statement...top is a quote and middle non-quoted part is DJ's statement...for reference... :oops:
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Re: er

Postby hyperbole » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:42 pm

Diane Jessup wrote:Glad that got cleared up!!!! I was like, whoa, NOBODY TAKES their dogs in the car????? Thought I had woke up on a strange planet!

Yeah, Poplin LOVES to come with us in the Jeep no matter how hot it is. We take the top down and the doors off and he just goes nuts watching the world rush past him. lol

This is a good wakeup call to the rest of us though. Poplin hasn't eaten or chewed on anything in the Jeep either. I leave him in there with groceries, steaks, eggs, candy, all his favorite food, and he hasn't torn into one single grocery bag yet. Now I know there's a first time for everything.
hyperbole

Postby X-girl » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:43 pm

Michele, I truly hope Ruby is OK! Our thoughts are with you.

Lola found a packet of 2 Advil that I didn't even know I had when she was about 4 months old. We immediately searched every piece of info we could find on the internet and it definitely seemed like 2 for her body weight at the time would probably not have any lasting negative effects. (We kept finding reference of 2 pills debilitating an 8 lb. cat or something to that effect.) We fed her right away so her stomach was full and watched her very closely - prepared to rush to the vet at any moment. She never seemed to have any effects at all and I definitely consider us very lucky.

I think you did the absolute best you could considering you don't know how many she had. Best wishes to you both! Hang in there.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby pollypop » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:43 pm

I'm surprised they didn't want to bring her in and monitor her, to at least keep an eye on her liver and kidneys.

I'm thinking of you guys.
pollypop

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:48 pm

I really hope Ruby is OK. I take Stockey with me in the car quite often too. Good luck, keep us posted.
Chris

Re: re

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:59 pm

mnp13 wrote: if we are driving past a pet shop I usually stop so that we can go in even when I don't plan to buy anything.

Michelle
I'm guilty of this. I like to look at the Marine fish and it gives me an excuse to have them in public where people can see that they're not aggressive.
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:41 pm

No Update?!?!?!?!?!? Give us an update!!

I take Gizmo and Baloo EVERYWHERE that I can, Sheesh I bought the Blazer JUST for them! Sold my Mach 1 and everything... :crybaby: But they LOVE the Blazer so its all worth it!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby Boo439 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:46 pm

Wow... I hope Ruby's okay. Waits for update... :pray
Boo439

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:08 pm

Here's an update for you....

I tried to eat my dinner (a huge leftover salad from last night), but I was )(and still am) so anxious about Ruby that I can't eat. So I put it down and came up here to check for replies from here and PetVetCafe (awesome Yahoo group).

While up here reading all of the responses that are telling me to take her to the vet and get her on fluids immediately, she ate my dinner. That would be about a pound of lettuce, chicken, cheese, eggs and tomatos.

I called the vet again (The Dr. that I don't like is on call - of course) and she said I was worrying too much. A dog that eats my dinner is not developing gastric ulcers. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

She is going to call me tomorrow to see if I want to come in and do blood work (as if I'll say no).

Right now we're giving her milk and water to get her to drink a LOT. This should do the same thing that IV fluids would do - help her kidneys keep working and dilute any of the poison that is there.

That's all I can tell you for now... except she's in the other room yelling at Connor to give up the bone he's chewing...

Oh look, here comes Connor - sans bone. She is such a snot.

I'll keep you updated on her progress. Thanks VERY much for all of the thoughts and prayers, I can't describe the feeling of knowing that something stupid that I did could hurt her... or kill her...

not good...

Michelle
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:30 pm

Oh, and thanks for all of the comments about me...

I feel like poop that this happened, it's nice to see that a lot of you think I'm a good owner....

I need a nap and I need her blood work to be done.

I'll post when I get home from the vet tomorrow (and if anything else comes up)

Michelle
mnp13

Postby kazuo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:51 pm

Hope Ruby is ok ! Keep us posted.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby elegy » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:04 pm

when she vomited were there pills or pill pieces in it?

you caught her fast and took immediate action. my guess is, especially since she's stealing your dinner, that she'll be fine. i think they just do this stuff to scare us half to death.

i leave my dog in the car pretty regularly when it's cool.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues