Increased appetite, and eating grass...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dadams312
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Increased appetite, and eating grass...

Postby dadams312 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:17 pm

Is eating snowy, muddy grass a sign for anything? Sugar has been wanting to eat like a horse lately, we keep her to 2 - 2.5 cups a day of food. But I will catch her wanting to go outside just to eat the grass.

Can I just chaulk up the bigger appetite to her growing? But what about the grass eating?

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:07 pm

It's OK, lots of dogs do it. Regardless of any other external factors, diet, or health...my dogs have always enjoyed doing this. I remember another member mentioning that her dogs go out to graze with the horses. lol

dadams312
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dadams312 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:08 pm

moto1320 wrote:It's OK, lots of dogs do it. Regardless of any other external factors, diet, or health...my dogs have always enjoyed doing this. I remember another member mentioning that her dogs go out to graze with the horses. lol

She never bothered with the grass up until the last couple days, which is what set me off thinking something could be going on.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:12 pm

A search will turn up several threads on this.

I will say that Daisy doesn't really graze in the winter. She starts with the grass right about this time of year as it's warming up a little bit.

Pipbull
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Pipbull » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Ya, mine have always grazed like cows. At least until they learned how to strip a palm tree :roll:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:18 pm

One of my dogs seems to think he's a cow, he would graze for hours if I let him and it has never had anything to do with and upset stomach or diet. He just likes grass.
His brother, however, specifically eats grass when he has stomach problems. There have been a few times where I literally have to pick him up (which isn't easy with a 75lbs dog lol ) to get him to stop.
My point is, if he doesn't normally do it and there are other signs of stomach upset (drooling, excessive licking around his mouth, not able to lay down comfortably, vomiting, weird poop, etc.) then you might want to give him a bland diet and/or some yogurt or digestive enzymes.
On the other hand, if nothing else seems to be indicate that he's ill, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

dadams312
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dadams312 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:18 pm

moto1320 wrote:A search will turn up several threads on this.

I will say that Daisy doesn't really graze in the winter. She starts with the grass right about this time of year as it's warming up a little bit.

I searched a bit before posting....should I feed her increased appetite, or just keep an eye on her weight, and build?

dadams312
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dadams312 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm

pitgrrl wrote:One of my dogs seems to think he's a cow, he would graze for hours if I let him and it has never had anything to do with and upset stomach or diet. He just likes grass.
His brother, however, specifically eats grass when he has stomach problems. There have been a few times where I literally have to pick him up (which isn't easy with a 75lbs dog lol ) to get him to stop.
My point is, if he doesn't normally do it and there are other signs of stomach upset (drooling, excessive licking around his mouth, not able to lay down comfortably, vomiting, weird poop, etc.) then you might want to give him a bland diet and/or some yogurt or digestive enzymes.
On the other hand, if nothing else seems to be indicate that he's ill, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

No other signs of illness, I'm hoping the kibble we feed her is good enough, we searched locally for some of the good food, and started in on the only thing we could find....she is starting to eat like she did when we first got her and fed her the junk kibble (pedigree).

Return to “Health Issues”