Keeping my dogs necks from going bald

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Keeping my dogs necks from going bald

Postby moto1320 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:10 am

Anyone have any tips or collar recommends for keeping the hair on the beasts necks? Daisy is a pinky, excluding a thicker strip down the middle of her back, her fur is very thin already. I doubt I will be able to do anything short of not keeping a collar on her most of the time to fix this. But, you guys have read of some of her Houdini escapes from inside already so the collar/tags usually stay on. Her skin is so sensitive and her neck always looks like it is recovering from a rug burn though.

Doc on the other hand has pretty thick fur for a bully and now even his neck is bald. Is there just no way around this? I think I could curb it with a thin collar. They both wear 2 inch ones and they need them. Particularly Doc, he is getting worse and worse on the leash. When I got him his joints were horrible, rubbery and he held a perfect heel on his own. Now that he is healthy he spends a good amount of time on walks in that typical pitbull snaphot you see on gamebred kennel sites...Where they are about an inch of the ground spread out and clawing in and pulling like hell. I can't break him of it so far. We are working on it with minimal success. In the meantime I need damage control.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby heatherlyn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:11 am

Padded martingale collars are the only thing I've found that doesn't rub off the hair. The place I got mine is not taking orders right now, but here are some other collars similar in design:

http://www.k-9designs.com/collars_safari.htm
http://www.petculiar.com/collars.html

Here is Poco modeling her collar, it's lasted two years so far and still looks great:

heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

Postby jmann4 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:40 am

Sulfadene or sublimed sulfur and vasline. The second is non-toxic so if your dogs lick it they won't get hurt.

I've never used these, but have heard they work wonders for bald spots and hair loss. Not sure where you'd get them though.
jmann4

Postby barbponys » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:50 am

Yeah what Heatherlyn said. They can be found at places that cater to Greyhounds too. Nice thick wide collars that don't chafe their very tender skin. I bet they would work well for your kids.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Demo Dick » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:01 am

I don't collar my dog unless he is on a leash or working. All other times, he's in the house with me, and doesn't really need to wear one. If I left one on him full time, his hair would rub off.

Try a wider collar and take it off the dog whenever you can.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby moto1320 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:20 pm

I take them off when they sleep frequently. I like having something to grab onto just in case, and the afore mentioned tag issue. Maybe I'll give em a break and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby gooeydog » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:56 pm

Those rolled leather collars are pretty good on thin fur, we have one for Haley, and just about every other collar she's wore broke her fur under her neck. The only problem we had was that the first time it got wet, some of the dye (it was black) leaked out onto her fur, and she had a gray ring for a couple weeks, but after that, it didn't happen again. You might try one of them just for wearing around the house, and use the wide collars for walks only.

Not the best pic, but you can see what the collar looks like, and that her skin/fur was in good shape with it on...
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby Odnarb » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:40 pm

this is what I use on my dogs to hold the tags on. Nice safety collars. I like these a lot more than those break-away collars (that break away WAY too easy). They don't rub the hair off.

http://www.ruffwear.com/products/knotACollar/

Now, it says that you can walk them on the O ring, but it still stretches the collar out. So, I put regular collars on them for walking.
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:05 am

Cool! I can make that. I'll just have to get a second set of tags made. The reason I haven't done this is that I didn't think that they would be valid. Does anyone know if you replicate all of the info off of your rabies tags if it is considered a valid proof? The aluminum tags suck anyway, soon enought they are going to totally wera through the hole and be useless.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby turtle » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:32 pm

I use a wide leather or nylon collar for walks and for inside a 1" soft leather one. I just change collars when I come in. The rolled collars do work well also to save the neck fur. My dog has a lot of white and she has pretty good fur coverage on her white throat area.

I have seen some nice padded collars which might help but I lost the link a while ago. I do like martingale collars, too, and the one with the cool leopard print shown in the photo above is very nice. Who made that one? I know they are not taking orders right now but I just wondered who made it.

I think you should be able to duplicate the rabies tag info. All they really need is the number so they can trace the vet who gave the shot and find the owner or the records. So if you get one made, as long as it had the number and the other info, it should be fine.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:37 am

Is something like this an option?

http://www.ldsleather.com/collars.html
Its about halfway down the page.
Laurier

Postby jamobi » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:36 am

Demo Dick wrote:I don't collar my dog unless he is on a leash or working. All other times, he's in the house with me, and doesn't really need to wear one. If I left one on him full time, his hair would rub off.

Try a wider collar and take it off the dog whenever you can.

Demo Dick

I do the same thing.
jamobi

Postby heatherlyn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:25 pm

gf turtle wrote:.I have seen some nice padded collars which might help but I lost the link a while ago. I do like martingale collars, too, and the one with the cool leopard print shown in the photo above is very nice. Who made that one? I know they are not taking orders right now but I just wondered who made it.

http://www.pfarou.com
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

Postby bigdaddypowers » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:17 am

I have had simmilar issues with hair loss and skin irriattion. One thing I've done is to switch back and forth from a harness and a regular collar. They both tend to irritate the skin a bit, but this way the bruden gets shared by different parts of the dogs body. Also, like several other posters I tend to take Winnie's collar or harness off whenever possible, especially overnight.
bigdaddypowers

Return to Health Issues