Puppy not eating

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Puppy not eating

Postby skybyrd » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Our new baby isn't eating. She had maybe a quarter of cup of food this morning, and nothing since. We've now tried kibble soaked in chicken broth, plain white rice, some chopped beef, and some cooked chicken breast.

She's underweight already, and she's been sleeping most of the day. She played well yesterday, but hasn't been interested in playing today at all.

We are starting to get a bit worried. Anyone have any ideas?

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:31 pm

Sounds like she might not be feeling well. Is she lethargic or just sleepy? Sometimes puppies go through stages where they just sleep and sleep.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:35 pm

I think she's lethargic. We did do alot of walking this morning, cause she just wouldn't piddle outside. But its been several hours of sleeping (at least 3), and we can't seem to get her to get up and do anything. Hubby picked her up off the couch, and took her into the kitchen, and as soon as he put her down, she went right back to the couch and fell back asleep.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Does she have a fever or anything? If I was you I'd call the vet first thing tomorrow.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Yah, just trying to see if we should puree the meat or something. We did chop the meat pretty fine, but no go. Should we try some canned food?

We were also wondering if its serious enough to go to the animal hospital tonight.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm assuming you would have added this but are there any other symptoms? Loose stools? Vomiting? Coughing?

How old is the pup?

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:27 pm

X-girl wrote:I'm assuming you would have added this but are there any other symptoms? Loose stools? Vomiting? Coughing?

How old is the pup?

She is 4 months old. We adopted her from the El Paso animal shelter/humane society and picked her up on Friday.

She had surgery on Friday a few hours before we picked her up (spaying) and had her puppy shots and worming meds. She coughed afew times, but the wind was blowing and alot of dust in the air.

She was fine yesterday, looked al ittle thinner than she was when we first saw her last week. Would sleep for like 45 minutes then would be up and active, then sleep for 45 minutes, etc. She was not interested in treats, but did eat some (maybe 1/2 cup). When we took her out, she would get interested in strange sounds, dogs barking, etc. but not hyper or anything.
When she would wake up, she would be very "up", licking our faces with enthuasim. She did find the cats' food dish and ahd some bites of that before we caught her at it.

She did have 2 bm's - one was normal, was was diarreha.

Last night was her first night in her crate and did ok, went out a few times (like 1:30, 3:30, so on)

This morning she was a little slow to wake up, but once up played with my wife. Had 1 bm, normal. Ate about 1/4 cup of food.

Since then, she has slept most of the time, to the point you pick her up, she licks your face once or twice, then she is asleep again in whatever position she is in. No coughing. She did vomit a little, yellowish (bile?). No signs of blood. I took her outside, she ahd a loose stool, no signs of blood, and not diarreha, just loose. No interest in food.

We tried boiled chicken cut into small piece (sniffed at it, went back to sleep), her dry food mixed with a little beef broth, dry mixed with a little broth and some white rice (plain) and just plain rice - no intrest in any of it. Wife tried giving her a small piece of beef brisket, she licked it once and that was it.

There has been a very noticable weight loss since Friday. No wimpers, snapping, etc. when I touch her stomach, though it does feel warm compared to the rest of her, but she has been sleeping on a blanket all day. The area around the incesion is not red or swollen.

Wife just ran out to the store to pick up some canned food to see if she is interested in that.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:30 pm

I think I would get her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning unless some serious change in her condition occurs before then. The weightloss thing is sorta scary; I really hope she's OK. Good luck and keep us posted!

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Quick addition -

When you go in and pet her, etc, she does open her eyes, maybe licks your hand, then sighs and closes her eyes again.

No runny nose (nose is actually dry) and no teary eyes. No drooling like she ate something bad and no chemicals she could have gotten into. She hasn't eaten anything out of the yard (we have been walking her on leash - we have a fence, but there are alot of dogs in the neighborhood that run, including a pit-mix).

Cannot think of anything else.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:20 pm

The loss of appetite isn't a good sign, but I would use the fluid intake as my measuring stick for urgency. Is the pup drinking? I would assume the rapid loss of weight was water.

Take the pups scruff and pull it up gently until the skin is stretched without tension. It should snap right back into place when released. If it slowly falls back into place this is a sign of notable dehydration. You may want to call the ER vet and ask them to help you out with fluids until tomorrow if the pup looks OK other wise, temp, breathing, etc.....

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:10 pm

moto1320 wrote:The loss of appetite isn't a good sign, but I would use the fluid intake as my measuring stick for urgency. Is the pup drinking? I would assume the rapid loss of weight was water.

Take the pups scruff and pull it up gently until the skin is stretched without tension. It should snap right back into place when released. If it slowly falls back into place this is a sign of notable dehydration. You may want to call the ER vet and ask them to help you out with fluids until tomorrow if the pup looks OK other wise, temp, breathing, etc.....

Ok, no breathing problems. JUst spent the last 30 minutes with her sleeping on my chest and she is breathing normally.

Did what you suggested with the scruff of her neck. It seemed to go back into place quickly. She has not been drinking anything this evening, was drinking earlier.

We got her to eat a 1/2 spoonful of wet dog food, but thats it so far. we are goona try again in half an hour.

We will be calling the vet first thing in the morning.

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:46 am

Woot!

Well, as of about 10 minutes ago, whatever the problem was/is seems to be better.

After petty much spending the majority of the day asleep, not eating, no water since noon or so, Shelby woke up (I was asleep in my chair with her curled up on my chest), walked aorund for a minute with soem wobbling, drank about a cup of water, downed a full boiled chicken breast cut into pieces, went outside for a walk, drank half a bowl of water, about a cup of white rice which was the most she had eaten since we picked her up.

She is currently sitting the couch, wagging her tail, watching Jaws on TV (she appears to find young Richard Dryfuss cute...she starts wagging her tail whenever he is on thescreen).

:))

Gonna see if she eats tomorrow morning ok. If she does, we may give it a day and see if it is just too many changes catching up to her (new house, new people, new critters, surgery, etc) and she was just that worn out.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:40 pm

She ate about a half a cup of dry mixed with a big forkfull of wet this morning.

So it seems she's on the mend.

*crosses fingers*

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:08 am

Followup -

she has parvo.

She started repeating what she did yesterday. She ate this morning, was drinking fine, and even playing semi-fetch in the kitchen (ie: I roll the ball, she chases it...and then looks at me like I am an idiot for throwing the ball since now I want it back).

Starting early afternoon, slept 90% of the day, diarreaha, and starting about 3 hours ago, was vomiting bile (10 times in less than 2 hours). By the 8th time, we were already on our way to the emergency clinic, were she tested positived for parvo.

They gave her a shot of penicillin and another one to help calm her stomach (and a lesson for the vet assistant who thought the vet saying "this shot may hurt her a bit" did not warrant holding her tightly :roll: ). They sent us home with 7 days of Metronidazole (antibiotic) and Metoclopramide for her stomach, and we will be taking her to our normal vet first thing in the morning for possible IVs. The vet did not seem to feel it was bad enough yet for her to stay the night tonight since she would be seen tomorrow morning.

:sad:

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 am

I will be saying prayers for her! You should call the shelter, she most likely had parvo when you adopted her.

Return to “Health Issues”