EMERGENCY: Ruby ate ibuprofen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby SKoth » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:11 pm

Michelle, we really hope that she'll be just fine. On this med note I always recommend to people that have dogs who like to get into stuff to purchase tablets that are not coated when buying any meds. The coating is often sweet and dogs will a thousand times more likely to ingest these than the ill tasting counter part. Just a suggestion. Again, good luck Michelle.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby Demo Dick » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Ruby is downstairs watching the Olympics with Michelle. She seems okay so far, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:02 pm

SKoth wrote:Michelle, we really hope that she'll be just fine. On this med note I always recommend to people that have dogs who like to get into stuff to purchase tablets that are not coated when buying any meds. The coating is often sweet and dogs will a thousand times more likely to ingest these than the ill tasting counter part. Just a suggestion. Again, good luck Michelle.

You know, it would have been nice of you to post that suggestion yesterday :tongue:

I agree, and I don't plan to buy any tablets that might possibly smell good to a dog EVER AGAIN. In fact, I had better gag on them when I try to take them. (then again, dog's like to eat cat poop - so you can't exactly plan on what they think tastes good!!)

Thanks,

Michelle
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:12 pm

elegy wrote:when she vomited were there pills or pill pieces in it?

I have no idea, there was a LOT of foam and vomit. I think she threw up some of breakfast as well, as she's not much of a chewer and there was a lot of 'mush' in it.

elegy wrote:you caught her fast and took immediate action. my guess is, especially since she's stealing your dinner, that she'll be fine. i think they just do this stuff to scare us half to death.

I hope you're right. If she makes it through this alive I'm going to kill her for scaring me like that.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby spane1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:36 pm

I hope Ruby is ok! So sorry this happened.

Sarah
spane1

Postby Leslie H » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:22 pm

Michelle, I hope all goes well. Seems like stealing dinner is a good sign. The coated pill advice is great, I would have never thought of it, yet it's common sense.
Xanny loves the car, and just regards it as a big cushy crate. When training in the summer, she heads straight for the AC car after sessions. She is very good about not stealing stuff or chewing it. I've also got a CRV, my second, 4 wheel drive, and you can fit 3 400 crates, 2 adults, all your gear, and one 50 lb lap dog.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby katch22 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:39 pm

Best wished from us for Ruby!! I am thinking positive thoughts for her!

Oh and about the good owner stuff - who else's dog is smart and capable enough to open a bottle without chewing through it???-- not mine! Pretty sure that no one would doubt you there!

Sorry that you guys are going through this. Good Luck.
katch22

Postby jamobi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:41 am

How about a trunk cover for the station wagon?
jamobi

Postby mnp13 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:14 am

jamobi wrote:How about a trunk cover for the station wagon?

I have one - she jumps on it and it opens. good thought though!
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:17 am

Upate:

Loooong night. Getting her to drink lots of water was easy, but then she has to pee really bad. She had a MAJOR accident trying to get to the door - on the stairs and landing, which of course ran right through to the basement. Yuk.

She peed about 5 more times when I brought her out. She also had some bad diahreah.

She leaked all night, a lovely thing to wake up to - yes, of course she was on my bed.

this morning she ate well, but her gums are white. We're heading to the vet's now.

thanks,

Michelle
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:13 am

Update:

Just got back from the vet. Her blood work is mostly in the normal range, except for globulin. She has two perscriptions, one for pepcid and the other for something else that I can't remember.

Immediate danger is passed, we're going to test for liver function again on Wednesday or Thursday - when ever her appintment is, I can't remember.

She screamed - and I mean screamed - when the vet drew her blood. I have never heard her make that noise before, it was scarey.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Michelle
mnp13

Postby SBTdani » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:25 pm

Sending lots of positive thoughts our your way.....i hope Ruby makes it through this none worse for wear. Sounds like she is past the worst part (thankfully!) and it's all a waiting game now.

Hope she's ok!!
SBTdani

Postby Odnarb » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:37 pm

Poor Ruby! Please keep us posted.

Brando had some severe bleeding gastric ulcers from the high doses of steroids he was on after his embolism. It was scary, but he pulled through.

Sounds like she's going to be just fine :)
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Ariel Payopay » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:08 pm

I hope things turn out good! She'll probably do fine. Our dogs are tough dogs.
:thumbsup:
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby JaquelineC » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:43 am

Just saw this thread - I hope Ruby's doing better! Keeping you guys in my thoughts...

:pray
JaquelineC

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues