Exercise...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Exercise...

Postby Kara » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:30 pm

Just curious as to how much exercise your dogs all get? How much per day, or per week do they get? and what sorts of activities do they do to stay in shape?
How much activity do you think is neccessary for a dog (of this size) and what activities do you think are the best for them ?

Thanks,

Kara
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:03 pm

Gizmo is fat because its to hot and Baloo is still lanky because hes a pup and well they play inside all day so its hard to get weight on him! I would reccomend a spring pole and flirt pole for taurus and jada!!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby jmann4 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:56 pm

Depends on the heat. Most of the time 3 walks per day for an average 1-3 miles. 10-25 minutes on the spring pole. Fetch, tug, and other pit bull games on and off for the rest of the day.
jmann4

Postby Kara » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:02 pm

Hey Jessa, I can only imagine how hot it is there right now. Its funny that in the winter here the dogs put on weight because its too cold, and its the summer there that they put on weight because its too hot!
Im actually pretty happy with how much exercise teh dogs get right now. Taurus won't even go near a springpole, so thats no use. I am just curious as to how much exercise most people give their dogs. Right now T & J get : a 20 min walk at lunch (seperatly), + 20 mins play time together in the backyard, then 30 mins playtime together in the backyard together each night, plus 3 times a week they play with my parents dogs at their house. (all 4 dogs running for a min. of one hour really tires them out...) taurus gets much more exercise with Jada here because he actually runs the whole time hes outside chasing her (he can't even come close to catching her though), instead of before where he would sniff around alot!
Kara
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pocketpit » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:09 pm

My guys get quite a bit of exercise on their own just tearing around the yard, but we also swim them, play fetch, frisbee, have a springpole, the indestructable ball, and a decoy that works one of two of them.
I think Pit Bulls enjoy quite a bit of exercise but there are exceptions to the rule.
pocketpit

Postby concreterose » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:07 pm

Vicki gets about 2 hours all together of exercise spread out through the day. Fetch, flirtpole, running around the yard, baseball field, and walking.
We go biking 2 miles about 3 times a week, when it's not too hot.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mad4bullies » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:38 pm

My 2 get an hours walk around lunchtime and a 2 1/2 mile jog/run every night, about 20 mins incl a cool-down period. They get so excited when i come in from work at night knowing that its run time!
mad4bullies

Postby TxTank » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:34 pm

I walk my boy twice a day a mile +. spring pole and fetch depending on the weather. i've kind of slacked this summer due to the heat. but will hopefully get back into the swing of things in the fall. i'm looking to get an indestructable ball but not sure where to look(any suggestions?).
TxTank

Postby jmann4 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:52 am

TxTank wrote:I walk my boy twice a day a mile +. spring pole and fetch depending on the weather. i've kind of slacked this summer due to the heat. but will hopefully get back into the swing of things in the fall. i'm looking to get an indestructable ball but not sure where to look(any suggestions?).

You can usually find them in online pet stores.
jmann4

Postby pollypop » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:19 am

Last year Polly got plenty of exercise. Probably an hour's walk every day, plus play around the house, plus we would take her to tennis courts or other fenced in paved type areas to run in the evenings, plus we would go on hikes in the woods pretty much every weekend. This year, it's a bit harder, since we now have Nadja, who can't keep up with Polly, but would give herself a heart attack trying. We have to take them separately and that gives them both less time than they'd have otherwise. Too much exercise for Nonny, not enough for Polly.

Mostly we (they) walk, run, and play fetch with REALLY BIG STICKS. Or, occasionally, whole small trees. lol
pollypop

Postby Laurier » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:50 am

littlefoot wrote:My dogs get between 2-3 hours of excerise a day. We go for a 45 min walk before I leave for work...when I come home we go for a 1-2 hour hike/run. And then later on before bed we go for another 45 min bike ride.

Then to top it all off I go jogging alone for 1-2 hours. LOL.

:))

:wow

Wow, thats a LOT! When exactly do you find the time to eat, sleep, etc.?

My dogs get about 1.5-2 hrs of excersize spread through out the day, a walk in the morning from my mom then either a walk/jog individually or hiking together after I get home from work. I play tug with Lola, Buster doesn't really care about it, and they play with each other quite a bit.
Laurier

Return to Health Issues