Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:54 pm

I only saw one other poster mention the brand I currently feed.

If I am going to be away, or if I just do not have enough time I feed Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe adult dog food by Blue Buffalo and I would recommend it to anyone.

I feed the puppy version of this food. Any input on Blue Buffalo? I've been pretty impressed with it, myself.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:59 pm

Also, am I the only one who full feeds pups still? I've always felt it cut down on food aggression as they aged, in addition to letting them eat when they need it as growing dogs. At 1 year, I cut them down to a morning and evening meal.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby XtacyOD » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:48 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:Also, am I the only one who full feeds pups still? I've always felt it cut down on food aggression as they aged, in addition to letting them eat when they need it as growing dogs. At 1 year, I cut them down to a morning and evening meal.

I do the same thing. When i first got my pup he was so crazy about the food and would down it in seconds. So i went and got a huge bowl for him filled it up and put it on the floor. He took a few bites and walked away. Never had a problem with food since. I usually fill the bown with about 4 cups of food in the morning and he just eats little bits throughout the day. Cant forget the milkbones for "droppin a deuce" and various other training treas used throughout the day.
XtacyOD

Postby amberspitbulls » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35 pm

I feed mine Nurto Max.
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby Churchill » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:32 am

formula1 wrote:Science Diet is one of the commercial dog foods that is supposedly not good for dogs either and I won't feed to my dogs.

I had to take Johnny off Science Diet Large Breed Adult after he got crystals in his urine :bully: I recently switched him to Solid Gold WolfKing.
Churchill

Postby Wooderson » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:26 am

regarding BARF and toxic e.coli strains or salmonella:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't wolves as much scavengers as they are predators? They eat a lot of dead things that they find lying around, dead things with fecal matter in or around them (e.coli), things that have been dead for quite a while and not refrigerated.

Do wolves frequently get sick from or die of salmonella or other food poisoning? I don't know. Does the digestive system of your friendly neighborhood APBT differ from a wolf so that it cannot eat what a wolf does? According to BARF theory, it does not. Others beg to differ.

Since I live in Ukraine, where commercial pet food is expensive and of dubious provenance (even Western brands), I'll probably feed BARF. At least I have more control over what my dog eats, and meat-parts (necks, kidneys, lungs, intestines, brains, etc.) are cheap and plentiful here. Same with fish.
Wooderson
Super Bully

Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Emi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:47 am

What i feed Dottie isn't listed 8)

But I feed her Wellness Chicken 5 mix .. and she does really well on it , her coat is just beautiful , and I give her a egg once a week .. :thumbsup: :inlove:
Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Orange27 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm

heather wrote:Diamond doesnt' seem to be very good, but they have a lamb and rice forumula with no by-product or corn or wheat. it is 2-3cup serving per day for a 50-60lb dog and is 22 dollars for 40 pounds. It is AAFCO feed tested as well. My friend in vet school says that it should say feed test substantiate and that shows actual feed tests were done. i know some smaller companies dont' do that b/c they are small and don't compete so much with larger companies--having thier own market. I thought i would try it so i bought a little bag. the ingredients are pretty good. lamb, rice, egg, no artificial anything.

For those who have mentioned Diamond Brand:

They have two other lines of food that I have found to be pretty good as well as affordable:
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul ($30 for 35# bag)
Premium Edge ($25 for 35# bag)

Also - another excellent food website that I never see mentioned on this board is www.dogaware.com. They have great info on both raw feeding and choosing a good commercial food.
Orange27

Postby Seamus&Hector » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 am

We recently switched from Bil Jac to Solid Gold and it has been the best food we have ever used. Love it. Thanks to this forum we discovered it.
:)) :peace: :thumbsup:
Seamus&Hector

Postby yogi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:23 pm

im assuming many of you have read this link that ariel posted http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

i was just curious for opnions about whether to include vegis and suppliments or keep them out like that site recomends. at the moment i am following ths site and keeping them out. she seems to be doing well. i feed her breasts and livers over the last few days and i am getting her on thighs and drumsticks tonight. she seems to be doing great, im just looking for opnions here. thanks :)
yogi

Postby RedNoseSandyRose » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Is it terrible that I use Nutro Natural Choice brand...I've already tried Flint River in hopes to put my girl on a better do gfood but she didn't eat it. Maybe I'll try something new. Money is no object because she costs me a fortune in medication already. My Sandy has knee dysplasia in her back legs (one's worst then the other though).
RedNoseSandyRose
Adolescent Bully

Science Diet like pthers years ago ws good..

Postby Chrissie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:08 pm

b ut now it sucks thanks to mass distribution, andbeing sold pretty much everywhere you can find dog food.

I know many people think SD is a good food, and they want cases of where it harmed dogs or caued this or that but where the eveidence lies is in the nutritional value.

I advise for everyone to do their research and compare......real eye opener.
Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby sweet350z » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Natures Variety......Prairie New Zealand Venison :peace:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/index.lasso?r=1508965
sweet350z

Postby sweet350z » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:43 pm

sweet350z wrote:Natures Variety......Prairie New Zealand Venison :peace:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/index.lasso?r=1508965

Oh yeah...I put about a tablespoon of yogert and add water mix and let soak about 5 minutes...at nite he gets about 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese with it...on the side of course :))

So spoiled lol
sweet350z

Postby Lmporter03 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:44 pm

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

great chemical analysis of most dog foods.
Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues