Stick down throat problem!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Stick down throat problem!

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:07 pm

Hey guys. I was taking Messina out for a walk today and we were playing around I was throwing a stick and she ran after it and started zooming around a field with the stick in her mouth...

Well..before you know it I hear a big yelp from her and she stops running and starts coughing...for about a minute or so..non stop coughing..I freaked out!..I checked her mouth to see if she ate anything funny but it seemed fine..plus..all she had in her mouth was the stick..well..I looked around and picked up the stick only to see some blood on the tip of it..

By the looks of it all, Messina probably ended up poking her throat with the stick...cuz after that she wouldn't eat anything and she had a really hard time swallowing her own saliva...and right now she's just sitting here on the couch quietly...seems almost like she's hot by the looks of it..I think it hurts her..

I don't know what to do..my mom says that she'll just keep swallowing saliva and it'll heal on its own..I'm kinda scared...like there was a bit of blood on the end of that stick and she yelped!...Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm kinda worried..I hope it heals ok...
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby JCleve86 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 pm

It certainly wouldn't hurt to take her to the vet...
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby pocketpit » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:35 pm

Take her to the vet. She could easily have a laceration or big puncture in her throat or mouth that would benefit from antibiotics and pain meds. I've seen it happen to quite a few dogs.
pocketpit

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:35 pm

Well I'm going to the vet with her on Thursday to check out this growth she's got on her toe..to get it removed..do you think I should just wait until Thursday or is it that bad if she cut her throat inside? Like I said there was some blood on the tip of the stick (it wasn't really that sharp thank God)...and her nose is wet now and she's not hot anymore..she ate a bit of ham and chicken that I gave her...so I dunno should I be really worried or do things like this heal on their own?

I don't wanna run to the vet with every single little thing either ya know? Considering alot of vets take this as a chance to rip some money from your pocket..oh..here have this syrup..and those pills..and that crap...

I'll mention it on Thursday to the vet though.

Any other suggestions anybody that might have gone through this ordeal with their pooch?
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:37 pm

pocketpit wrote:Take her to the vet. She could easily have a laceration or big puncture in her throat or mouth that would benefit from antibiotics and pain meds. I've seen it happen to quite a few dogs.

Whoa there..I just got that post after I finished typing my last one...it could be that serious?..
AH..well I'll definately tell me vet about it on Thursday... or is that too late to wait?

What should I be looking out for in the meantime? How serious can it get?...AHH... :crybaby:
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:56 pm

I would err on the side of caution and I would take her in tomorrow, if there's a hole or serious laceration it would be a good idea to have it checked. I'm kinda paranoid though. I've seen what sticks can do even when they aren't sharp.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pocketpit » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:06 pm

The fact that her mouth wasn't bleeding a lot is good news, but I'd still go in and have her checked out. You never know and I'd hate to see something happen to her.
pocketpit

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:17 pm

If you stabbed yourself in the throat w/ a straw would you wait until thursday when you went to the pediotrist. Not snapping but we can never be tooooo careful!
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbulliest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:19 pm

well I called the vet today to get an appointment for her...the earliest I can see the vet I go to, is on Saturday. :crybaby:
I've been monitoring Messina and she seems fine..ate her food and everything..and this morning when she was yawning, my mom said that it was her tongue that had a cut..so that's probably what it was from.

This sucks that I can't go any sooner than Saturday. I hope its really no big deal for her sake. No more sticks damnit! :crybaby:
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:08 pm

thats probably safest. Hope she feels better
:)
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues