Diarhea help!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Diarhea help!

Postby jcd410 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 am

I was feeding my puppy Eukanuba and then switched over to Canindae and now he has the runs. My dumb butt didn't mix the Canindae in the Eukanuba in slowly - I just switched cold turkey. I just bought some more Eukanuba. Should I feed him that first until his poop is hard or just feed him Canindae or mix in both and gradually increase the Canindae amount?

Also, is there any puppy medicine I can give him for this or any homemade remedies 'cause I feel so bad for my puppy!

(1) He just got his ears cropped
(2) He's wearing the stupid ecollar
(3) He has tampons in his ears
(4) He has nasty runs

poor Chopper ... HELP!!! :crybaby:
jcd410

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:26 am

How long has he been on the canindae for?

A teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin (no sugar added) can help with the runs.
Laurier

Postby jcd410 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:02 am

Well, I fed it to him for one day (3 meals), then I noticed he got the runs and stopped feeding to him. The following day my parents and I went to the petstore and bought some Eukanuba.

I have a huge bag of Canidae here at the house, and I don't know what to do with it!
jcd410

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:12 am

Ok, how is he feeling now? How old is he?

This is what I would do..... someone else may have better suggestions.

For the next couple days feed him boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and rice until he's feeling better.

Then gradually start weaning him off the Euk.
Week one - 75% Euk 25% Cani
Week two - 50% Euk 50% Cani
So on and so forth until he is completely weaned.

I hope your baby is feeling well soon.
Laurier

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:30 am

Pumpkin and yogurt. Pumpkin to soothe his digestive tract and yogurt for digestive help. Plain non flavored yogurt is best a tablespoon or so per meal usually works.

Usually the runs stop after the first couple of days. I'm not a fan of mixing foods, he's a youngster and their systems usually adapt pretty fast. Going from low quality to high quality foods it's better to go cold turkey. JMO.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby jcd410 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:28 pm

Fed him some pumpkin mixed in with his food. His poop isn't as watery but slushy ... (sorry i'm disgusting). He's at home right now sleeping. I'm on campus cramming for my final - Wish me luck!!!
jcd410

Postby moto1320 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:16 pm

Whats done is done, no need to bring the Eukanuba back into the picture. Despite the fact that he was eating it, at this point in the game it still falls into the same disruption of diet catagory. Thats like " I was eating cheeseburgers three meals a day and got sick when I went straight to organic whole foods. Should I go back to McDonalds?" Go with the pumpkin and give him a few days on the Canidae. It will probably clear up pretty quickly. Kaopectate (sp?) can be used on dogs too. CFonsult your vet first if you do, the amount necessary for a puppy would be so tiny.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jcd410 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:45 pm

Well I'm mixing the pumpkin with 25% Canindae and 75% Eukanuba. I'm going to increase his Canidae intake as time goes by. I hope this works.
jcd410

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:10 pm

Since you decided to do the switch over, 10 days is plenty of time to get it done. Longer and it's kind of overkill.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby jcd410 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:40 am

Hahaha I hear ya.

Side note: I JUST TURNED 21!!!! hahaha sorry I'm just overly joyus.
jcd410

Postby barbponys » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:40 pm

:thumbup: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues