Poo Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Poo Question

Postby chillidog » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:43 pm

I have a question about a certain type of poo. I am fostering some 4 week old pups and one has started to poo a jelly-snot-like, off-white colored poo. They were wormed on Saturday and within this poo was a worm as well. The other pups all have solid, normal poo and I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with similar poo. Thanks
chillidog
Newborn Bully

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:56 pm

Usually mucousy poop is caused by irritated intestines. Has this pup had normal poops yet? Is the pup normal in every other way? How's he eating? It may be from the deworming, that can be pretty hard on their systems. If you've got some plain yogurt, you might want to mix it into their formula/kibble mash, it certainly won't hurt and can help replace some of the good bacteria that's been stripped by all the diarrhea they had.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby chillidog » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:02 pm

They are all eating fine and they have all had normal poos. I will get some yogurt....thanks :headbang:
chillidog
Newborn Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:37 am

Bump.....

I have that same problem with my puppy (TanK) his name.....so, I'll go ahead and do the same w/ the yogurt thing......hopefully it would work, =Tank= you
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:31 pm

My foster dog Tribble had really gross poo for a while. Sometimes it takes a while for the worm meds to kill the worms off completely. The pup may need a second treatment to get them all.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:57 pm

I also read that when you switch them from low-quality to high-quality food, their systems do one of two things (or both): they are irritated by the change, and/or in the process of eliminating the ickies left in their systems from low-quality food, they get really gross poos for a while. Any truth in that?
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:32 am

Yes, that can be true. It's not just their stool that gets gross. Their whole body goes through a detox and it can be pretty dramatic, depending on the age of the dog and what you are switching from/to.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:19 pm

i work at a humane shelter and we worm the puppies that we get in and yeah like everyone else is telling you the worm med is hard on their sistem and sometimes bothers their belly. chances are that puppy just has a more senitive stomich. plain yorger will be good for him and should help though.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues