Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

food

Postby HHK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:52 pm

I feed our dogs the Solid Gold lamb and rice. We tried innova and wellness, but Pete is prone to colitis and these foods were too rich I think for him. The Solid Gold has worked great though. The cat LOVES (and she's a finicky little b*tch) the Wellness and is doing great on it.

I supplement Pete's food with fish oil and a product called " S.P.U.N.K. for dogs" which is an enzyme accidophillus powder. These things combined with limiting vaccinations have a once chronically ithcy dog with inflammed intestines looking and feeling great. He's the softest dog I've ever met too. Our friend calls him the Velveteen Pit Bull lol .
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby sam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:59 pm

I feed solid gold too! I feed the Holistic Blend, and its' been a miracle. I've tried approximately 8 different brands in the last year and a half, because one of my girls has issues with her skin. Most of these were brands that were meant for dogs with allergies, and this has been the first one that has worked :bowdown:

She's even lost weight, which is another miracle in itself, and her coat is nice and soft and shiny for the first time ever!!![/list]
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby phiberoptik » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:56 pm

I made a thread regarding this and its recieved no attention so Ill try here also. I feed my dog Bil Jac and cottage cheese (couple tablespoons mixed in) with a decent dry food for filler.

Does anyone else have Bil Jac experience? ITs extremely popular around here for people with large muscular dogs. Its all nutrients so his poop is very light in color as he uses almost everything out of the food.
phiberoptik

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:15 am

That is our trainers top choice, he swears by it. Due to availability problems- I use Nutro Large breed.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby raiyo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:44 am

I feed both of my dogs Science Diet.

Looking for a switch right now. What does FREE LAMB mean?

EDIT: Wow, what a quick switch. I went with Wellness Fish & Potato for my Collie and puppy for my Pit. Geez, those things smell so fishy, even the puppy one when it is made from chicken.
raiyo

Can't find the perfect diet???

Postby THEDUKE51 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:35 pm

What is the best food for puppies?(just got a gottyline blue male apbt) :)
THEDUKE51

Postby barbponys » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Phiberoptik,
If the food was really good your dogs stools would be very dark. My dogs eat a lot of meat and very little grain, their stools are almost black and very small. They also have very little smell. Bil Jac is a low grade food, you might want to look into some other brands.

I feed Timberwolf dry along with the raw. It's a new food, been on the market for about a year. Spendy but feeds real well.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby THEDUKE51 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:59 pm

How about Diamond dog food?My breeder told me to use it with goat milk for puppies.
THEDUKE51

Postby barbponys » Mon May 17, 2004 12:06 am

Duke,
Just got back to this thread.......

Diamond uses a lot of corn in their food if I'm not mistaken. It's not really a good idea to feed a lot of grain but especially corn. Goats milk is good, it doesn't have lactose(if i'm not mistaken) and shouldn't cause problems. I wouldn't use milk for too long though.

I have found that a lot of times breeders recommend low grade food, lots of dogs, expensive to feed. Not all breeders, but a lot. Hit the web and see what's available in your area:
www.oldmotherhubbard.com for Wellnes
www.naturesvariety.com for Prairie, Natures Variety
www.timberwolforganics.com for Timberwolf formulas

Hope this helps some.

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby JaquelineC » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:19 pm

I'm now feeding Canidae Dry All Life Stages mixed with the Canidae Wet Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Fish + Green Tripe.

I sometimes add cottage cheese, egg, carrot, oils, hamburger meat, etc. for flavor and variety. They also get raw meaty bones to gnaw on.

Their coats are shiny and lustrous (more so than ever before), they are full of energy and life, and not as much poop & gas.

I'd like to start adding more and more raw elements to their food as time goes on and I get more comfortable with it - Hopefully one day they'll be eating a totally raw diet.
JaquelineC

Wellness

Postby Shanda » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:16 am

My personal dogs are currently on Wellness Lamb, my rescue dog is on Iams Lamb & Rice (cost concerns). Some friends of mine are doing BARF, and I can hardly believe my eyes when I see the dogs! The Rhodesian has lost 25 lbs and his auto-immune disease is now in remission, and the Pit Mix (who is a Dogo look-a-like) has the most beautiful soft coat and clean teeth. He used to be coverd in sores all the time when he was on Eukanuba. We are discussing buying a freezed from BarfWorld so we can get wholesale pricing on Barf patties. I can't wait until I can get my babies on BARF!
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby mydogroxy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:54 pm

rox eats a barf diet. she's not a huge fan of turkey, so her main protein source is chicken. in addition to that she gets veggies/fruits, lamb, beef, fish, and whatever else i can find on sale. no pork though. so far it's been great, except she still sheds like a beast. i'm considering switching back to a high quality kibble since i'm getting tired of cleaning up raw meat residue from my kitchen floor. she was doing just as well on kibble before anyway, so we'll see.

If the food was really good your dogs stools would be very dark

really? that sounds weird to me since dogs fed on barf typically have very light poop. barfers always point to light colored poop as proof that their dogs are using all the nutrients in the food. alls i know is it's small and it doesn't smell bad...good enough for me!
mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby damienApbt » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:45 pm

i use wellness but not the super5 mixes. i use the fish and sweet potato.
damienApbt
Regulator

Dog Foods

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:01 pm

I tried about 6 different kinds for my dogs, the one that works the best for all of them is Canidae Maintenance dry kibble. my GSD has allergies, my rottie has kidney disease, and Rufus has a sensitive stomach. they dont poop as much as they used to, and Jesse's allergies are alot better than they were, and she is shedding less. Sonny is doing great onthe Canidae, his kidney vet said his kidneys are doing very well holding their own and not changing since I changed his food. he also gets supplements too.

i like the canidae the best.
Maryellen

Bil Jac

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:35 pm

EWWWWW Bil Jac is not good food. its got crap in it. :sad:
Maryellen

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues