Meet my foster pup...

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Meet my foster pup...

Postby nan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:11 pm

Okay, so this puppy was found under an abandoned car on my street--worm-ridden, dehydrated, and only four and a half pounds. He was basically dumped on me by the person who found him, with a comment along the lines of, "Well, I don't know what to do with it." Great. Yes, I do dog rescue stuff, but I'm still working on training and rehab for my rescue pit bull who I just adopted this spring...and that's really what I need to be focusing on at the moment.

But the pup was clearly really sick and the person who found him wasn't going to take responsibility for him. So I took him to the vet, where he needed subcu fluids, dewormer, and antibiotics for a really bad URI (he sounded like he was breathing through a snorkel, poor guy.) And at that point, he was so tiny we had no idea what kind of dog he really was. And the rescue groups I talked to were full, and the one person I'm still on speaking terms with at the SPCA strongly recommended I try to get him healthier before bringing him to the shelter if I really wanted to give him a fighting chance.

So several weeks later, the pup's tripled his weight and bulked up really amazingly. And he's now clearly a pit bull puppy, and a feisty one at that. And I adore him, but I've already got three adult male dogs and I feel very lucky that they all get along...I simply can't take on a fourth dog right now, much less another male pit bull. So I've gotten in touch with a pit bull rescue group and the pup is waiting for a space in an "official" foster home or for a good adopter. And I worry for him because he is a feisty, independent little guy who's going to need an owner who knows what they're doing...not such an easy think to find for a stray pit bull pup :sad:

But he's going to make someone a great dog, if we can just find that someone. He's got lots of energy, loves to meet new people, and is absolutely fearless of the big dogs. He's just a very comical, happy, outgoing and active dog. He was trying to pull dominance on me at five pounds, almost as soon as he was well enough to wobble around the house...one of the funniest things I've ever seen. :)) And now that we've pretty well sorted out that I'm in charge, he's been very responsive to training. He seems to really like having my undivided attention for that and he responds in kind. I wish I had more time to work with him. But here's his petfinder link. I have lots more pictures if anyone might be interested in him. He's completely healthy now, eating like a horse, neutered, and his first shots are done. He's just waiting for someone who can give him the kind of attention and love he needs...like so many homeless pit bulls are. :sad:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action ... mpl=&stat=
nan
Matured Bully

Postby Boo439 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:48 am

What a cute lil boy!!!!
Boo439

Postby spane1 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:33 am

He's a cutie :inlove:
spane1

Postby Rumpley » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:33 am

Nan - I've had two foster pups that were WAY pushy at a young age, under 4 months, and by 6 months, they were quite biddable indeed!

I think it's just a matter of brave "children" testing their boundaries and if they're set early enough, with the right owner, everything is cool.
So there is hope for the little guffer!
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs