Immune Support??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Immune Support??

Postby SKoth » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:34 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on any products that help to build/support a dogs immune system. Of course I know that there are many out there, I am specifically wondering about products that you have had experiences with or heard good things about. Thanks guys!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby JB » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:16 am

I recently started giving my dog a bunch of supplements that I hope will give her immune system a hand. She got a case of kennel cough recently and seems to catch just about anything that happens to be going around so I thought it would be a good idea. I give her a couple 500mg tabs of vitamine C and a clove of garlic each day in an effort to help her stay a little healthier. It seems to have worked for the kennel cough, she wasn't coughing at all after 3 or 4 days.

Are you concerned about your dog's immune system? Why?
JB

Postby SKoth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:41 am

JB you may have read before that I have a Mal pup that has had complications since birth. Recently she developed a septic infection in her leg so I thought I would ask if anyone had any immune support suggestions. So to answer your question yes I have always been concerned about her immune system because she's always been sick.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby concreterose » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:40 am

JB listed some of the best things you can give to build immunity...Ester C and garlic being some of the best. I also give Salmon Oil (flax seed oil is also good) Milk Thistle (it's an antioxidant and helps keep the liver functioning properly). It also helps to get the vet to give you the correct dosage for body weight (you're a vet tech though aren't you?) for the supplements to have the optimal effect. I was very lucky because one of Pookie's oncologists is very much into the holistic aspect of treatment. It also helps to give them fresh fruit when you can. Whenever I'm eating fruit, we all share :)
Blueberries are really good for builiding immunity and have antioxidant properties. I mash them up with plain yogurt and stuff their kongs with them.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Kelliek » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:42 am

Cody had mange when he was young - the dips didn't seem to be working. since mange is a by-product of a weak immune system i started treating him myself with supplements. i gave him flax seed, flax seed oil, fish oil, vitamin E and olive oil. within 4 days of starting this regimen his fur started growing back. i still give him fish oil and vitamin E and he's really healthy. my herbalist recommended this stuff so you might try contacting one in your area.
kellie
Kelliek

Postby SKoth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:32 am

Thanks guys! I am currently doing many of those things. I appreciate your responses with this little girl I'm always open to suggestions. (And yes, I am a tech)
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues