Low cost spay/neutering

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Linariel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Check the Friends of Animals site
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/sncert/instructions.html
and do a search for vets that accept their certificates in your area. There should be a couple. Make sure you double check with the vet before ordering![/list]
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jalelia » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 am

I am having a financial issue with my puppy getting spayed. I contacted the Friend of Animals website, and they can't help me. They don't have any vets that work with the program, in my area. I contacted a local place, and they said they would get back to me, if they had funding, but she doubted that they did. I sent an application to another place in my city, but it will take them at least a month. My puppy will be 6 months tomorrow, and everyone is telling me she will be going into heat soon. I would not have waited so long, but my sister whom I got the puppy off of, told me that I had to wait until AFTER her first period. I called my vet last week, and they told me that it could be done, before. Are there any other programs you guys failed to mention? I live in the Central Pennsylvania region. At my vet, it will cost $125. I can pay that, but the money I have saved back, is so I can get a vehicle :sad: . If it comes down to it, I will spend it, though. I am not at all interested in contributing to the exceeding pet population.
Jalelia

Postby Chrissy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:32 pm

No offense but $125 is very cheap. I paid over $350 for my "free" spay for my shelter girl. What town are you in? Did you call your local animal shelter and ask for help yet? I have had no luck in the past year with friends of animals either...no one accepts their certificates anymore. My mom had luck with them about 7 years ago...it feels like they are just fading . Seriously, try calling a local shelter. I'm still trying to find somewhere I can get my lab spayed for under $200 and they gave me a few good phone #s to call.
Chrissy

Postby Jalelia » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Chrissy wrote:No offense but $125 is very cheap. I paid over $350 for my "free" spay for my shelter girl. What town are you in? Did you call your local animal shelter and ask for help yet? I have had no luck in the past year with friends of animals either...no one accepts their certificates anymore. My mom had luck with them about 7 years ago...it feels like they are just fading . Seriously, try calling a local shelter. I'm still trying to find somewhere I can get my lab spayed for under $200 and they gave me a few good phone #s to call.

Well, around here....it's not very cheap. Of course, that doesn't include the office visit, I am sure. The application I sent was from my local animal shelter. It will take at least 3 weeks for them to reply, and it is not for sure whether I will qualify. Only one veterinarian accepts their certificates, anyway. It blows my mind away how they encourage people to spay and neuter their dogs, but are going to charge $350 (in your case). I guess I should not be complaining so much about the price I have to pay, considering what you paid, but I still would like to be able to pay a little less. When she goes into heat, though...that is it. I can't risk anything. I also just volunteered at the local animal shelter, and I do not want to contribute to their population.
Jalelia

Postby Jalelia » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Sorry, my town is Altoona...quite a small town :)
Jalelia

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:58 pm

how far is ALtoona from the MD border?
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jalelia » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:09 pm

About 2 hours
Jalelia

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm

there's a few places in MD that do APBT's for free..... or for dirt cheap, one place does it for 45-60bucks..if you are willing to drive.. i'm driving to pa sometime for Penn hip and OFA... about a 3 hr drive bc it will save me like 250 bucks..
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jalelia » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:54 pm

I wouldn't mind the drive at all, if I had a vehicle :sad: . That is the same exact reason I don't want to spend $125 for her getting spayed, I am saving that for a vehicle. It's a lose-lose situation, heh. Well, thank you, anyway. I do appreciate you trying to help. I will just wait as long as I can, to see if I will be granted the certificate from the local shelter. Again, thank you very much.
Jalelia

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:56 pm

Yeah any time, i totally understand a car, i'm saving up for a dog car..
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby Jalelia » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:55 pm

I would like to inform you guys about another group. They couldn't help me, but perhaps they can help someone else...

Here is their website http://www.spayusa.org/
Jalelia

Postby Jalelia » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:18 pm

I have some GREAT news! I just got a phone call from a lady that volunteers for Spay Days. Spay Days is a program that, through the local shelter, helps people with spaying and neutering their pets. I sent in my application about 2 weeks ago, and expected to wait, at least a month, for my reply. I went down to the local shelter yesterday, to get an application to work there, and asked the lady how long I should expect to wait. She said at least six weeks.

During the middle of this month, I will be receiving a phone call from the shelter manager, and she will make an appointment to bring Laika in. It will only end up costing me $50!!! I would have spent the $125, if necessary, but this is wonderful. I just wanted to share the news. :peace:
Jalelia

Low Cost Vet in Kent, WA

Postby karladaune » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:00 am

Wanted to let people know about Mission Vet Clinic in Kent, WA...

Very low cost clinic for EVERYTHING...and VERY sweet doc (if you can understand him.) I've been taking pets to him for years...he has offered group rates for litters of feral kittens I have taken in to him. He was there for me when I had to put my 13 yr old newfie mix down...and he cried with me.

My 2 rescue lab/aussie mixes can be people aggressive, but they have no problem with him. My hyper pug calms down in a heartbeat when he talks to her.

He has also allowed my mother, myself, and other people I have referred to him make payments or write post-dated checks.

Again, he is very difficult to understand sometimes (he is i BELIEVE vietnamese) but a great deal.

They can be reached at 253-520-0700. Can be difficult to reach at times, but leave a message and somebody will call you back.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypits » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:12 pm

how do you get the certificate?
iluvmypits
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pblove » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:36 am

I also have a friend with a private shelter in Stewartstown, Pa.
She has a speuter clinic at the shelter, but also has vets in surrounding counties and states, to spetuer low cost.
Shots are about $5.00, micro chips are around $20.00, worming is $2.00.
pm me for number if you are interested.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues