BARF Questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

BARF Questions

Postby raiyo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:16 am

After doing some reading, seems going to a BARF diet for my dogs will be better. They poop less, there poop doesn't smell as bad, bad smelling fart goes away, no bad breath, cleans teeth, and lots more. I'm currently feeding my dogs Science Diet. I've already switched to something better, which is Wellness. I'm in the stage of breaking in the new food to them. I'm also "thinking" of feeding them raw meat 1-3 times a week.

I've done some reading about BARF receipes and how they are made. In some receipes they ground there meat, and some never mention doing so. They blend there veggie and other goods to it and make them into cubes and freeze them. I would like to know how you guys do it. I searched the forum and didn't get the info I needed. I read about feeding the raw meat whole with bone and meat intact for dinner and blended veggies for breakfast. Or combining both together and serve. Leaving the bones intact will give them time to chew there food, which is good for them. If grounding the meat/bones, is that isn't as good? If I do ground my chicken/beef/pork/bones along with whole fish, is that okay? Do I serve the meat/blended veggie frig cold?
raiyo

Re: BARF Questions

Postby jmann4 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:04 am

raiyo wrote:If grounding the meat/bones, is that isn't as good? If I do ground my chicken/beef/pork/bones along with whole fish, is that okay? Do I serve the meat/blended veggie frig cold?

First you want to the meat to be room temperture. Cold meat will upset the dogs stomach. Some dogs can handle it, others don't do so well. I leave my dogs feed out for a few minutes before I feed.

Also with raw don't let it sit out. If they don't eat it after 20 minutes take it up and put it in the fridge. I usually wait 10 minutes then pick it up. This also tells the dog they need to eat it right when it's put down or they don't get it.

Grounding up your meats and stuff is perfectly okay. Just make sure the fish doesn't have little tiny bones. If you ground it up I would use boneless meats and then add bone powder to it. Or you could feed legs, necks, and backs for an after meal snack to compensate for the boneless dinner.

I only give whole bones three times per week and the rest of the time feed a dry/raw mixture.

BARF is an awesome diet to get your dogs on. Be prepared for some stinky poo's for a few days possibly up to a week. Also they might start to stink a little bit because the toxins in their body are being driven out.

My dogs went about a week and half before these symptoms stopped and their bodies adjusted to the diet.

Two books I recommend:

Natrual Nutrition for Dogs and Cats.
http://www.amazon.com:80/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561706361/theinnersanct-20?creative=125581&camp=2321

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats. You can find it at the above link.
jmann4

Postby raiyo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:22 am

Thx for answering all my questions jmann4. I'm a total noob at this stuff. I never knew dog food could be to complicated.

Usually, how long do you leave the raw meat/bone out till it is room temp?
raiyo

Postby jmann4 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:40 am

raiyo wrote:Usually, how long do you leave the raw meat/bone out till it is room temp?

It depends. I don't sit it out until it's perfect just not really cold. 3-5 minutes maybe. I just wait until it's not ice cold then I feed.

And don't worry, I had my wires crossed for months when I started including the BARF concept. Once you get the hang of it though things start going smoother.
jmann4

Return to Health Issues