FLYING DOGS

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

FLYING DOGS

Postby JCleve86 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:15 pm

I've seen quite a few people go through the hassle of planning a long distance transport for dogs, usually resorting to flying them instead of doing a ground transport. It can be a bit stressful to try and figure out where to start when flying dogs, so I've compiled the links regarding pet travel on three of the few airlines that will fly bully breeds. Hopefully this will help.

DELTA AIRLINES
Requirements http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp

Travel Options
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... .jsp#cargo

Rates
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp

ALASKA/HORIZON AIRLINES
General Info
http://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin ... ?p_faqid=5

Alaska’s site is pretty difficult to navigate, and the last time I looked up information it took me about an hour to figure most of it out. I then called the number and got all of the information I had just taken an hour to find in about a minute. So, needless to say, when dealing with Alaska, read the general info first, and than for actual prices/booking, call the number.

CONTACT: The Cargo Service Center can be reached at 1-800-225-2752
Hours of operation:
5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (PT), Monday-Friday
7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Saturday-Sunday.

NORTHWEST AIRLINES:
General Info
http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/comme ... ments.html

Restrictions
http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/csrestrictions.html

CONTACT: Northwest Cargo Service Center 1-800-NWCARGO 1-800-692-2746
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:38 am

So I was looking at the delta site, are they saying that they don't take pit bulls at all or just when the weather is over 70 degrees???
Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Postby shea » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:01 pm

How much does it cost to ship dogs internationally, Say from West Virgina to Newfoundland, Canada.
shea

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:15 pm

shea wrote:How much does it cost to ship dogs internationally, Say from West Virgina to Newfoundland, Canada.

Some airlines will not fly internationally. I'd just call the info line on the site for exact quotes/possibilities...all of the links I provided do have price charts, so you may want to check first, but otherwise just go ahead and call...
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby shea » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:20 pm

K thanks, US Airways don't ship pets anymore so the only one is Delta and I will call them. Thanks a lot :)
shea

Postby Bustersmama » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:42 am

this should be a sticky. I dont know how many times I have looked into flying dogs only to get the run around.
Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Chrissy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:36 pm

There is a good chart on the FAA website with the # of incidents and what type for each airline involving animals. For the love of god...I cant find it...
Chrissy

Postby Albertorey » Mon May 22, 2006 7:32 am

shea wrote:How much does it cost to ship dogs internationally, Say from West Virgina to Newfoundland, Canada.

Usually it's around $10,00/kg
1kg/2,2lbs
Albertorey

Postby MrClean » Thu May 25, 2006 2:40 pm

As I'm flying with Cody next month, I've been trying to do a lot of research. I just had a conversation with Southern RI's Animal Rescue League office and the woman had a very helpful hint ( I was calling to ensure there was no BSL in Wakefield, RI). She suggested, since it is a direct flight, to ensure I check in and state I want "Counter to Counter" service. I'm still researching exactly what that is, but it appears to ensure your dog shows up at the counter (as opposed to a cargo pick-up area). Just thought I'd add that to this conversation.
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby JCleve86 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:36 am

MrClean wrote:As I'm flying with Cody next month, I've been trying to do a lot of research. I just had a conversation with Southern RI's Animal Rescue League office and the woman had a very helpful hint ( I was calling to ensure there was no BSL in Wakefield, RI). She suggested, since it is a direct flight, to ensure I check in and state I want "Counter to Counter" service. I'm still researching exactly what that is, but it appears to ensure your dog shows up at the counter (as opposed to a cargo pick-up area). Just thought I'd add that to this conversation.

VERY VERY good idea. I picked up two dogs at Sea-tac that were flown in several months ago and before they were flown in, there was a big fuss about having the contact information down for who was picking them up on the recieving end (that would be me.) When I got there, they simply unloaded the dogs and left them in this little section near the baggage claim, no security, everybody could see them...and NOBODY, not a SINGLE SOUL addressed me as I went to pick them up. I seriously just put their crates on a wheely and took them to my car...no paperwork, no release procedure, nothing...and nobody said or did anything. ANYBODY could have taken those dogs that day.

That said when I was present for a doggy pick up at the PDX airport (Portland) they were VERY strict with releasing the dogs...they wouldn't even let us friends of the person who was the official pick-up person be in the cargo area to get the dogs. They wanted to be very specific with who was allowed to take the dogs from them. It was irritating but I must say in retrospect, I MUCH prefer that to the Seatac experience.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby mareta » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Be aware too that if you are planning on switching airlines, some complanies will not transfer the dog for you. Not such a pain when flying with the dog, but a major pain if you ever have to have a dog transfered.
mareta
Newborn Bully

SeaTac; air kennels

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:33 pm

My job is picking up freight at SeaTac and driving it to a sorting warehouse. I see dogs coming in there all the time at Delta Airlines, and once in a while at Northwest Airlines.

Anyway, many of the airlines (United and Delta, for example) now use subcontractors (rather than employees) to staff their freight facilities. It has made an enormous difference in consistency and quality of service. Sometimes you get prompt, courteous efficiency; sometimes you get the Soviet Union at its worst. Because I go there every day, they treat me pretty well, but I've seen people waiting in seething frustration as they try to find out when to expect their dog...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it matters what kind of travel kennel you use. The airlines seem pretty specific -- it has to be big enough for the dog to stand up and sit up, long enough for the dog to lay down, but not too high or long. No wire kennels; they have to be plastic, though I've seen bobcats and lynxes shipped in wood kennels. I imagine a properly constructed metal kennel would be ok, but too expensive to be practical, and probably too cold as well.

Also, there are rules about how the door gets secured. At Northwest in particular, I think the rule is the door must positively latch at the top, bottom, and on the left and right sides. I've seen many unhappy people there having to buy another kennel on the spot, because most dog kennels only latch at top and bottom, and get rejected as insufficiently secure. (The good news is that Northwest sells the kennels at a reasonable price. I recently bought one from them, because they were $50 -$60 less than the ones at Petco etc.; sturdier, too.) Delta doesn't seem as picky about this rule, or at least, I haven't noticed unhappy customers there reluctantly buying a new kennel.
MikeInTacoma
Regulator

Re: FLYING DOGS

Postby stache612 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 pm

I realize this original thread is some what old, but there is a new airline out there that flies pets and only pets. Their website is www.petairways.com They fly in the cabin so no temperature restrictions and the flight staff are pet trained. I haven't used them, but they are endorsed by Best Friends Animal Society.
stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:13 am

stache612 wrote:I realize this original thread is some what old, but there is a new airline out there that flies pets and only pets. Their website is http://www.petairways.com They fly in the cabin so no temperature restrictions and the flight staff are pet trained. I haven't used them, but they are endorsed by Best Friends Animal Society.

Looks interesting. Would be neat except they only service 5 cities, and the nearest one to me is Denver :yucky: Also they only fly on Weds. If anyone has tried it I would be interested to know your impressions.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby bully_mama » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I actually had questions about the type of crate that was allowed and all the regulations for flying a pet. I came across this very useful site.

http://www.dryfur.com/

They sell everything you need and specify what crates are approved, have check lists, an article about snub nosed breeds (bull dogs etc) and a lot of other helpful info on traveling with your pets.
bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs