dew claw?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

dew claw?

Postby pibbles and bits » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:48 pm

whats your guys opinion on the dew claw? should it stay?
pibbles and bits

Postby jmann4 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:52 pm

personally, if it's a rear dew claw, no. If it's the front dew claws, unless they are very young, yes.

I wouldn't remove them anyway. They don't bother them and tearing them is very hard to do.
jmann4

Postby SuperNova » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:55 pm

I've actually had a vet recommend that I DO NOT get them removed. :dunno:
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:26 pm

My vet always says leave the front ones and remove the rear ones if they're floppy (opposite of Jmann - go figure?).

I followed his advice and had Angel's rear ones removed when I had her spayed at a year old - what a nightmare. It turns out although they seemed to only be attached by ligaments and skin, they were actually very attached, and it was complicated taking them off. It's a painful surgery, her recovery was long, and she had complications. In hindsight, I should have left them alone.

Gage's I've left, even though the vet still wants to take them off. They don't bother him in the least, although he sometimes catches up his front ones during rough play and tears the nail a bit. Unless you're going in heavy brush a lot, I wouldn't bother, and even then, you can tape them. But that's JMO.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby jmann4 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:34 pm

chilliwackpitbull wrote:My vet always says leave the front ones and remove the rear ones if they're floppy (opposite of Jmann - go figure?)

That's what I meant. If they are on the rear legs, remove them. If they are on the front legs, don't.

Also, what I meant about removing them while they are very young is, if they are not removed then the procedure is painful.
jmann4

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:26 am

I say just leave them...if they were born with them and they're not bothering anybody..what the heck..

Some people listen to their vets too much..not saying anybody particular in here...but...well...alot of dog owners in general .. "MY VET TOLD ME THIS..MY VET TOLD ME THAT"... I've personally had really lousy experiences with past vets...and I have only come to trust one (and not 100% either) around here recently... don't ask..bad stories...

If you have a great vet, hey all the better for you...but please..they're not gods....... ...... ....... yeah this is getting a little off topic.. forget it :))

lol
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby elegy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:44 am

personally i'd leave them unless they were very floppy and causing problems. i've seen torn off declaws and it wasn't pretty. but those were all really floppy, loose ones.

if you're worried about them getting caught in heavy brush, you can always wrap over them with a bit of vet wrap.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:43 am

My girl shadow(great pyrenees/lab mix) still has her declaws and her rear ones are very floppy and loose. but I won't have them removed.
She's almost 3 years old now and they haven't caused her a single problem.

All of my dogs still have their declaws
AllAmericanPUP

dew claws rear

Postby Maryellen » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:18 am

rufus had one removed because it was just skin attaching it, and he kept catching it and screaming. the other one is still on as it was attached by bone and not skin. when he was neutered i had the one dewclaw rear removed. he healed fine, no problems
Maryellen

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:40 pm

I've NEVER seen a dog "rip" the declaws (the reason for removing them). I HAVE seen dogs use them to hold bones, chewies, and get muzzles off. They use them!
Diane Jessup

dewclaws

Postby Maryellen » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:52 pm

Rufus got his back dewclaw stuck in the shrubbery in the yard, he had gone to investigate a rabbit and got stuck, hence the screaming/yelping. the one that got stuck was the skin one, and at 5 months old he was the biggest baby about everything. so i decided to have the one removed as it was strictly skin attached per the xrays i had taken. the other rear dewclaw was attached by bone and not just skin, so i got some opinions from a couple of different people and 3 vets and decided to leave that one attached. i should have had it removed too at the same time, but i didnt and now regret it. (its just funny to look at one rear dewclaw)
Maryellen

Postby mnp13 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:18 pm

There are 4 different types of dew claws.

1. fully attached with bone
2. partially attached with bone
3. not attached at all with bone
4. no bone apparent at all

If you have an active dog with 3 or 4 then you should probably have them taken off. If it is done when the dog is very young it is no big deal. Any removal of anything from an adult dog's body is major surgery, it's not the same with puppies.

Ruby's were gone when we bought her.

Connor has fully attached dew claws, and he uses them for holding on and for scratching the crap out of you when you play with him.

I have seen two dew claws torn. One was a big, nasty wound. Most recently, my parent's friend's toy poodle lost hers. They told me they thought she hurt her leg, and I looked at the claw and it was torn 'upwards' and bleeding. I told her to bring her to the vet. The next weekend when I saw them, they said that the claw was just gone the day after I saw them - it had torn off completely. Gross.

Very loosly attached ones should be removed, weither they are on the front or the back. If they are fully attached then let them be - front or back.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:00 pm

elegy wrote:personally i'd leave them unless they were very floppy and causing problems. i've seen torn off declaws and it wasn't pretty. but those were all really floppy, loose ones.

if you're worried about them getting caught in heavy brush, you can always wrap over them with a bit of vet wrap.

i agree with that 100%
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby matt » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:57 am

those dew claws are really strange little things arent they? im fascinated by them and by those, uh extra pad thingies that pups have up higher on their legs (that the scientific description for it :p) my pup loves to gnaw on those pads.

pitbulliest wrote:
Some people listen to their vets too much..

If you have a great vet, hey all the better for you...but please..they're not gods....... ...... ....... yeah this is getting a little off topic.. forget it :))

i totally agree with this. there is allways a second opinion. same thing with human doctors. everything cant allways be diagnosed properly. its a good thing to question your health care provider if you have any concerns.
matt

Postby moto1320 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:08 am

Watch your dog, they use them like thumbs. Mine use theirs all of the time with a great deal of dexterity. Daisy cleans her eyes with hers, uses them alomst exclusively to hold her toys and bones. I wouldn't have them removed ever unless it's a problem. Also, my dog's are firmly attached.
moto1320
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues