Nail Trimming

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nail Trimming

Postby HHK » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:49 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for some tricks/advice about getting a skittish dog to let me
clip his nails. Pete has always hated it, but until a few weeks ago begrudgingly allowed it as long as I gave him lots of treats. Now, no matter what fabulous treat I have he struggles so hard that it is impossible. He has been more sensitive in general lately, so I think I need to take him in for a checkup, but by all appearances is in great health.

Anyone have experiences with this type of change?
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby aliwishus » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:13 pm

Hi HHK,

I gave Chewalotopus some links and information in this thread (6th post down):

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... ght=dremel

The key is slow and careful desensitization - there is no shortcut (unless, the problem is a health problem, which you should know with a thorough check up). That thread also mentions using a Dremel instead of clippers if you are interested.

-ali
aliwishus
Newborn Bully

nail trim

Postby jcolt32 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:35 pm

I had teh same exact problem with my 6 yr old. Up until he was a year and a half it wasn't that difficult - especially since i was in an apartment at the time and all his walks on teh concrete really helped. To make a long story short, i had to pet his paws for months. then I pet his paws with the nail clipper in my hand for another few months. Then, i would clip one or two nails then stop. Then try for more. I would always end on a good note - a good note was --> trim a nail give a treat and call it quits. If he struggled I took this aas a negative and would try to end ona good note - but I wouldn't push the issue. Ultimately, it worked and I can now clip his nails - most of the time. Good luck
jcolt32

nails

Postby HHK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks for the information. He will let me touch his feet just fine as long as I long as he doesn't see the dreaded clippers. It sounds like it will be a slow process. Oh well! Lets hope he never gets this uptight about bath time!
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby Mutt blood » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:31 am

I have the same problem. Buddy lets me touch/pull/squeeze his feet and nails all I want. It's just that the sight or feel of the clippers sends him into a struggle mode. He will suddenly transform into the most flexible escape artist I have ever seen attempted to be restrained. When I had the vet try to trim his nails, the entire staff had to assist. He;s a superstitious dog I suppose...
Mutt blood
Newborn Bully

update

Postby HHK » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:45 pm

Just wanted to let ya'll know that thanks to the great links provided above, Pete is now allowing me to trim his nails!!!! Not all at once. . . and not the back ones :naughty: not yet anyway, but we're working on it.

It has been a slow process but patience does pay off in this area!!

I borrowed a drimmel from a friend and started to work on that too, but he seemed even more freaked out by that contraption anywhere near him, so we're sticking with the clippers.

Thanks so much for the help. I was getting worried that I would have to get 4 guys to hold him down while I clipped his damn nails.

In the process I have found a near by public tennis court where I have been letting him run to wear down his nails. Our neighborhood is so rife with off leash dogs that we have had to curtail our daily walks, which had previously kept his nails short. Ahhh. . . I just love irresponsible dog owners!!!

Thanks again for the advice!
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues