NEUTERING QUESTION

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

NEUTERING QUESTION

Postby ILLMATIK » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:33 am

I was talking to some guy in the park while our dogs were playing and he told me that if you neuter your dog at a young age it will stunt its growth, is this true, please help cuz homie is getting neutered tomorrow ?
ILLMATIK

Postby shella677 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:38 am

This is def. a myth.
shella677

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:42 am

Thats most certainly a myth!
Laurier

Postby tuesdaysmom » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:05 am

Not true!
tuesdaysmom

Postby mare » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:18 am

Not true!!! Good luck to you and Homie tomorrow! He will be fine! :)

Thanks for getting him neutered!

:peace:
mare

Postby Blue Steel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:44 am

Not true!

Indeed, if the pup is neutered before puberty, the body tends to put the energy that it would have used for puberty and sexual maturation, into growth of the long bones instead. Dogs (and bitches) that are neutered before puberty sets in tend to be slightly "leggier" than dogs (or bitches) that were either neutered after puberty started, or who are intact.

Cool, eh?
Blue Steel

Postby ILLMATIK » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:28 pm

k thanks guys, what a liar than, this guy was talking like he was a pro on dogs
ILLMATIK

Postby X-girl » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:32 pm

Oh you'll find "street corner pros" left and right. Nothing wrong with listening to what someone has to say just don't take it as gospel until you can do some research for yourself. Google rocks! :headbang:
X-girl
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:26 pm

From what I know, he was KIND OF telling the truth... just didn't quite get it. It has been shown that "late alters" are generally more healthy, and do have the advantage of having all of their hormones to grow with. Some say altering after 2yrs old is best... but if you alter too late there is a predisposition for some medical issues and some mental issues (a dog used to having hormones that suddenly no longer has them going through a form of "depression") Most people that have studied this agree that 6 month is a safer time to alther; giving a dog a chance to have the hormones for growth, but hopefully decreasing the chance for some cancers and the rare cases of anemia, plus helping to curb the overpopulation of unwanted pets before (again, hopefully) a bitch's first heat. Personally, I am a pusher for altering pets since we have done a lot of rescue and they have all been results of irresponsible (wanted or unwanted) breeding. But that not withstanding, 6 months is a great time to alter (for dogs). Cats can be altered as soon as they reach 12 weeks or 2lbs (which ever comes first) and are in good health. A cat can become pregnant at 14 weeks, and sometimes earlier. Males can in some cases mate even sooner. Does that help at all???
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby ILLMATIK » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:43 pm

Steph-n-Wolf wrote:From what I know, he was KIND OF telling the truth... just didn't quite get it. It has been shown that "late alters" are generally more healthy, and do have the advantage of having all of their hormones to grow with. Some say altering after 2yrs old is best... but if you alter too late there is a predisposition for some medical issues and some mental issues (a dog used to having hormones that suddenly no longer has them going through a form of "depression") Most people that have studied this agree that 6 month is a safer time to alther; giving a dog a chance to have the hormones for growth, but hopefully decreasing the chance for some cancers and the rare cases of anemia, plus helping to curb the overpopulation of unwanted pets before (again, hopefully) a bitch's first heat. Personally, I am a pusher for altering pets since we have done a lot of rescue and they have all been results of irresponsible (wanted or unwanted) breeding. But that not withstanding, 6 months is a great time to alter (for dogs). Cats can be altered as soon as they reach 12 weeks or 2lbs (which ever comes first) and are in good health. A cat can become pregnant at 14 weeks, and sometimes earlier. Males can in some cases mate even sooner. Does that help at all???

yes it does, thanks bud
i guess tomorrow it is
ILLMATIK

Postby Spurby » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:25 pm

Good for you for doing the right thing and getting your dog neutered!! Very smart choice!

As far as the "experts" out there, i have been told by many of these "people" so much crap it would make your head spin! Funny how many people think they are experts in dogs and behavior :roll:
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mare » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:42 pm

Just checking in to see how Homie is feeling?
mare

Return to Health Issues