skin problems...w/pics

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby damienApbt » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:14 am

where would i get salmon oil from. that sounds like it would be great.

as far as ear infections...rod does get them on ocasion. i pretty much nip it in the but as soon as possible. unfortunately you have to let it run it short course. i use an ear clensing solution that i squirt in his ear and masage around then wipe it out with cotton balls. gotta make sure you get in all the crevices. i have a prescribed cream for ear infections that i use to help make it go away. i aslo use hydrocortizone cream to rub in there to stop him from itching throughout the day.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby blover27 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:31 am

dont know where to find salmon oil damien but i did see fish oil in a "vitamin shoppe" yesterday along with flax oil....if you dont have those stores in philly you could try a GNC...
blover27

Postby gooeydog » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:01 pm

Salmon oil is pretty mainstream as far as supplements go, any healthstore should have several different dosages and sizes of it, and even walmart sells it. Some pet supply places also sell salmon oil, but you have to be sure it's human grade, as they often use lower quality ingredients for pet suppliments.

One other thing though, if you give salmon oil, you should also give vitamin E, as salmon (and fish) oil goes rancid quickly, so the vit E prevents that from occuring during digestion. My 55 lb dog gets 2000mg (sometimes 3000) salmon oil and one 400iu vit E capsule every night, if that helps to give a rough idea of what you'd need.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby pitbullforever » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:45 pm

damienApbt wrote:
pitbullforever wrote:did you ever see a vet about the prob??? maybe they may have some suggestions. everyones right it's probley an allergy. try a different shampoo and blow dry him dry. maybe that will help.

i know its allergies. hes 3 now. its been like this every summer. all i can do is give him allergy meds and antibiotics. also i give him dermCaps ES. ill have to look into flaxseed oil

as far as bathing him i only do it very rarely. i have a non soap shampoo that does right by him so ill stick with that. i've definitely learned my lesson not to use any type of brush. im always really gentle and quick with his baths

thank you all for your advise. he's clearing up for now but still very itchy and tender.

that really sucks dude. thats a really hard thing to deal with because you either have to deal with a smelly dog or a dog in pain. :sad:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby concreterose » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:28 pm

I get my salmon oil from Wal-Mart. I take it along with the dogs. I also keep it in the fridge, helps it keep longer.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pitbullforever » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:29 am

concreterose wrote:I get my salmon oil from Wal-Mart. I take it along with the dogs. I also keep it in the fridge, helps it keep longer.

yeah you can get everything at walmart :wallbang: (i work there) *yuck* hehehe
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Previous

Return to Health Issues