raw diet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:53 pm

Hmmmmm, last I checked I wasn't freaking out. I thought we were having a discussion. That's cool to agree to disagree. But I will comment on what you said.

I too have read a lot of articles about the "dangers" of raw food. There isn't one that gives anymore than anecdotal evidence as to the real dangers than you find proof positive from BARFers. If I'm a crazed BARFer then so be it. I am not against feeding dry food, I just feel if you are going to, then feed the best you can afford not some crap that has a name behind it. I don't recall ever saying that BARFers feed meat and only meat...............if I did I would appreciate a quote. And Carnivores don't thrive on JUST meat either. Cats eat the entire animal, stomach contents and all. Ummm, last time I checked there would be vegetable matter in there. They don't need as much vegetable matter to survive but they DO need it.

Ummmm, I didn't say dogs and cats are identical, I said their JAW structure was identical............... BIG difference. They both are meant to digest bone and their digestive tracts are short. Their nutritional needs aren't the same though so they AREN'T identical. Cat food has always had more protein in it than dog food cuz it's always been known that they need the protein. The problem is it's always been grain protein! Dogs need higher protein too and they are starting to realize that. Hence the focus on MEAT in the formulas! There was an article in a veterinary publication not to long ago that commented on the fact that "...perhaps we did cats a dis-service all these years feeding them grains."

The articles on grain you know about, sure send them on. Doesn't mean I will change my mind. I like to read other peoples opinions though. To me it's common sense, put a bowl of barley down in front of your dog and bowl of raw meat..............what's it going to choose?? I would bet my mortgage it WOULDN'T want the grain. If my idea of common sense makes me a crazed BARFer then so be it. It works for me.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:20 am

Well then whatever works for you works for you...all I know is that there's nothing wrong with it as long as you use common sense... if it was so bad..like I've mentioned before..tell me how dogs that have been eating bread, rice, and meat all their lives can reach ages of up to 20 years?...just some food for thought.

Anyways..I think we've both said what we needed to say...so lets just end off this topic by agreeing that its ok to disagree..we don't need to continue this post by repeating ourselves over and over again.

:peace:
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Wow! I love a good debate. Personally, before I began reading this forum I had never heard of BARF. It does make sense to me though.Not taking any sides in this debate as I have absolutely no reason to think I know anything about the subject.I am feeding my dog Natural Balance because it is the best food available in the rural area where I live and I simply dont have the time nor more importantly the expertise to properly implement something like that.I do have a question for the individual who mentioned those animals that had lived long and seemingly healthy lives eating grain based foods, "who is to say that they wouldnt have lived even healthier and longer lives on something more "friendly" to their digestive systems.On the other side,setting a bowl of each in front of the test subject proves nothing either, for if you set plate of healthy green veggies in front of me but then give me a choice between that and a double quarter pounder with fries guess which one I will choose.I say feed your animal the very best you know how, to the best of your ability,and go to bed feeling good about it. If Barf works for you and you have the time,knowledge, and means, great! If not, buy the very best food you can find and once again go to bed at night feeling good about it.
texas pit stop

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:06 pm

That's bizactly my point. I said I don't have a problem with people feeding dry just do the best by your animal you can. I feed dry for christs sake..........

If you put a plate of veggies and a big mac infront of me I would choose the veggies. But that's just me. I have yet to meet a dog that would chose the grain..........
barbponys
Health Guru

Previous

Return to Health Issues