Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby concreterose » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:58 pm

Linariel wrote:Borax can be found in the laundry aisle of most stores. There's a brand called "Twenty Mule Team" that is very prevalent.

That's what I use. I get it at Walmart...it's usually right by the washing soda.

Lin, there are a couple places you can check in Flint for the Dr. Bronner's soap. The Grainery is on 809 Church St. 810-235-4621.
Dale's Natural Foods
(810) 230-8008
4290 Miller Rd
Flint, MI 48507

STOREHOUSE NATURAL FOODS 810-733-8161
FLINT, MI 48507
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Linariel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Oh, thanks. I hadn't thought about Dale's, it's just a few minutes away.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby HHK » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:53 pm

Trader Joes sells it's own version of castille soap too, which is considerably cheaper than the Doctor Bronners. Just steam cleaned my carpets with it today and it worked great.
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby concreterose » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:43 pm

HHK wrote:Trader Joes sells it's own version of castille soap too, which is considerably cheaper than the Doctor Bronners. Just steam cleaned my carpets with it today and it worked great.

Don't you love how it leaves your carpets smelling? I do my rugs with the almond scent. Never tried the Trader Joe's brand, I'll have to pick some up. Everything is cheaper there!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pblove » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:40 pm

HHK wrote:Trader Joes sells it's own version of castille soap too, which is considerably cheaper than the Doctor Bronners. Just steam cleaned my carpets with it today and it worked great.

OH good to know, as Trader J is a lot closer to me then the health food store where I get Dr. Bronners!
t.y. for the tip!
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm

what is trader joes?lol
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cybele » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:19 am

concreterose wrote:
Leslie H wrote:What do you guys use to clean up after raw meat prep?

I sprinkle salt and vinegar on the cutting board (we use one specific cutting board for raw meat). Then I rinse with super hot water and wash it in a sink of hot sudsy dish water.

Raw meat should always be prepared on a cutting board. If the knife and board are washed in hot sudsy water and allowed to fully dry, they will be free of contamination.

Just keep the meat off your counters, don't let the knife that cut the meat touch the counter, don't touch the faucets with hands that you have touched raw meat with, and you'll be all set.
Cybele

Postby jaygirl » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Trader Joes sells it's own version of castille soap too, which is considerably cheaper than the Doctor Bronners. Just steam cleaned my carpets with it today and it worked great.

I'm gonna head to Trader Joe's today to look for castile soap among other things that I need. I've even notices that ebay is selling Doctor Bronner's soap too.

Olympian, they should have one close to your area. They make their own healthy products, very tasty and their prices are great. Do a google on them, i'm sure they have their own webiste.
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby OlympianAB » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:25 pm

eww the closes is 30minutes away w no traffic..lol
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby jaygirl » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:27 pm

I drive about 20 minutes to get to Trader Joes. It's worth it. There food is delicious and their prices are great. Trader Joe's castile soap brand, 2.99.
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jaygirl » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:31 pm

I have a hoover full size steamer. I usually put a cup of rug cleaner into the water. How much castile soap do you use for your steamer?

Trader Joe's also sells a 32 oz. Doctor Bronner's for 8.99. I think the Trader Joe's brand is 2.99, but I think it's a 16 oz bottle. Smells great though.
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby karladaune » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

jaygirl wrote:
Where do you purchase castille soap?

Wild Oats or Whole foods would definately sell it. I assume they sell the tea tree oil too.

I'm just wondering where you buy the Borax?

Dr Bronner's castille soap is WONDERFUL stuff...I have found it at regular ol' grocery stores and even Walmart and Walgreens. You can check out http://www.drbronners.com for more info.

I was first introduced to it when I was trying to find a non-chemical remedy for ants...lavender scented castille soap and water in a spray bottle kills 'em and is also a deterrent from them coming back. Peppermint castille works better, but I didn't like the smell.

Growing mint and lavender is also a pest deterrent.
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:36 pm

oops...my bad

should be:

http://www.drbronner.com
karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby concreterose » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:18 pm

karladaune wrote:
jaygirl wrote:
Where do you purchase castille soap?

Wild Oats or Whole foods would definately sell it. I assume they sell the tea tree oil too.

I'm just wondering where you buy the Borax?

Dr Bronner's castille soap is WONDERFUL stuff...I have found it at regular ol' grocery stores and even Walmart and Walgreens. You can check out http://www.drbronners.com for more info.

I was first introduced to it when I was trying to find a non-chemical remedy for ants...lavender scented castille soap and water in a spray bottle kills 'em and is also a deterrent from them coming back. Peppermint castille works better, but I didn't like the smell.

Growing mint and lavender is also a pest deterrent.

Great for flies too...especially if you put a few drops of anise oil in it. I use it to spray down the side of my garage where the flies like to congregate in the summer ( :yucky: ). I only had to do it one time, they didn't come back even after it rained.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:05 pm

OlmpyianAB wrote:eww the closes is 30minutes away w no traffic..lol

oh, sad! But TJ's is so way cheaper and has cool stuff. You coul trek over once a month and stock up. They have a great frozen food section!

I use Method currently but would love to go more natural. Yipee.

oh, and we use Doc Bronner's when we go camping. A big group of us go in the summer and we have a little bathing station with Bronner's and scrubbies for bathing in the river.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues