Fleas!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Fleas!

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 am

Well I just discovered my dog has fleas, not a major case or anything. I found a little flea running around a few days ago and ignored it and now see my dog acting a bit “weird” and after checking him out I found a whole bunch running across his back.

I just ran to the pet store and grabbed two of those anti-flea collars (got two dogs) and anti-flea shampoo. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Vitaliy

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:01 am

Go to your vet and get Frontline Plus.

Works better than flea collars and flea baths.
Laurier

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:04 am

Ok, in my experience flea collars don't work, they work real well in the vacuum bag though. Shampoo's are worthless really. It may kill the fleas on them but doesn't keep them off.

If you saw a bunch running on him you have a major problem in your house. I'm not a fan of chemicals at all but I would get some Frontline for him, bath him if you chose and then wait a couple of days before you apply it. If he was bathed recently just skip that and put the Frontline on. Using the stuff on the dog won't get all the fleas in the house though, it only kills the ones that jump on him. I would also bomb your house. I can guarantee you if you see 10 fleas on the dog you have thousands in your house. Not the time to play around, toxify and then fall back on natural stuff if you want. I had to do that earlier this year, they were so bad I resorted to chemicals. With all the fleas around you need to get your dog checked for tapeworms. I would do the bombs as well as a premise spray, get under couch cushions, between matresses, in the closets........any dark place they will hide and lay eggs. If you have hard wood floors bomb the rooms with carpet. Good luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:26 pm

barbponys wrote:Ok, in my experience flea collars don't work, they work real well in the vacuum bag though. Shampoo's are worthless really. It may kill the fleas on them but doesn't keep them off.

If you saw a bunch running on him you have a major problem in your house. I'm not a fan of chemicals at all but I would get some Frontline for him, bath him if you chose and then wait a couple of days before you apply it. If he was bathed recently just skip that and put the Frontline on. Using the stuff on the dog won't get all the fleas in the house though, it only kills the ones that jump on him. I would also bomb your house. I can guarantee you if you see 10 fleas on the dog you have thousands in your house. Not the time to play around, toxify and then fall back on natural stuff if you want. I had to do that earlier this year, they were so bad I resorted to chemicals. With all the fleas around you need to get your dog checked for tapeworms. I would do the bombs as well as a premise spray, get under couch cushions, between matresses, in the closets........any dark place they will hide and lay eggs. If you have hard wood floors bomb the rooms with carpet. Good luck.

I do not believe that I am in such an extreme situation, as I only found very few fleas all together within a period over a week. It did not even bother him all that much nor the other dog is even effected by the fleas. I am going to go to the vet next week ad pickup some Frontline Plus, thanks.. :)
Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:32 pm

I was so wrong, I just gave my male a bath with that special shampoo, by instructions left the shampoo on him for about 5 minutes after which the fleas started to climb out... I washed off at least 5 of them! Going to go get Frontline Plus today and already started ripping the house apart cleaning!
Vitaliy

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:39 pm

The fleas are deep in the carpet and in dark places. Keep in mind only the females bite, they need the blood meal to nourish the eggs and lay them. One female can lay about a million eggs in a month. Taking the aggressive approach will make a huge difference.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Erika » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:00 pm

Go grab yourself some Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray. Works like a dream. dont bomb your house, wont work well. Spray the area treatment stuff in all the dark places, under couch cushions, beds, furniture, etc.

good luck! :thumbsup:
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Return to Health Issues