Shipping pits

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Shipping pits

Postby tca0bell » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:28 pm

Does anyone know what all i need to ship a 9 week pit and around how much its gonna cost? I need to know everything. thanks.
tca0bell

Postby Leslie H » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:37 pm

You'll need a health certificate from a vet. You need temperatures to not be too high, as they will not ship if it is too hot. I don't remember what the limit was, 75-85 or so. You may want to ship at night. You need as direct a flight as possible. We used to use USAir cargo, or Delta Dash, the latter has a maximum weight limit of about 50 lbs, including crate. You need food and water dishes. You want to make the crate extra secure, some baggage handlers are rough, crates have been known to break open.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby tca0bell » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:45 pm

so all i need in papers is health papers from the vet? because i dont have any shot records. And could i get the crate and water dishes from a local pet store?
tca0bell

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:53 pm

How come you don't have shot records? Is it because the dog has not been vaccinated? If that is the case then I would strongly suggest having your dog vaccinated. Unvaccinated pets can get diseases that are most often fatal. I have seen this happen SO many times, and it is very sad! If this dog is going to travel, it is going to be exposed to all sortsa' crud, and it is very important for its health to be as protected as possible from catching something. Also, vaccinations keep your dog safe in a second way; if the pup were to bite someone, it is good to have proof that your dog has been vaccinated for rabies, among other things. In our state all vacinations except rabies can be administered at home. A rabies shot does not cost too much, and sometimes places like PetCo will have a low-cost vaccination clinic once a month or so.

I do not feel that rabies vaccinations are an absolute must in many situations (there is no rabies where we are), but dogs that travel or go to events, parks, etc where they are exposed to large groups of people or animals, a rabies vaccination shows the legal system that there is no need for your pet to be euthanized and tested if it were to bite.

Or... have you vaccinated at home? You can keep records still by taking off the lable of the vaccination bottle and placing it on a sheet listing the date, dog's name, age, etc. We type up spreadsheets and leave room for the sticker. It works really well. If you have vaccinated at home but did not keep record, make it now while you van still remember the general date of the shot. This will help you give the next vaccination on time, and may be acceptable for health certificate purposes.

Another thing; please make sure that your dog is healthy before shipping. Shipping is stressful, and can aggrivate illness easily. If the dog has not been wormed receintly, please consider doing so prior to shipping. Be sure to treat for both flat worms (including tape worms) and round worms. Cestex is a good medicine for the flat/tape worms, and we use Piperazine-17 for the treatment of roundworms and pinworm. These can be bought either at your vet's office or at a feed store. The cestex is more expensive, but the other is really cheap.

Vaccinations can be bought at feed stores or on line. If you do vaccinate at home, please consider that some dogs will have a reaction to the distemper vac. This is rare, but it does happen. It is important that the dog be put on oxygen and fluids as soon as possible if this happens - so only vaccinate when the vet office is open. Thankfully, if the dog is going to react, it almost always will do so in the first 30 mins after vaccination. Just keep a really good eye on the dog for an hour after the shot.

Flea treat with Advantage to add to the dogs comfort. Treating for ear mites is a good idea as well. Ivermectin can be bought in bulk at a feed store and mixed correctly with propoline glycol or olive oil to make an ear treatment. A vet can do this as well.

People will really appriciate receiving a healthy dog with good vaccination records! :)

Dog crates and bowls can be bought at most pet stores, but also check on line to see if you can find a better deal.

Too much info from me? I am just hoping that you can benifit from some of my experiences and mistakes without having to make them!!!!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby tca0bell » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:02 pm

thanks for all the info. im not sure if i am going to ship it anymore since its gonna cost more then the dog itself.
tca0bell

Return to Health Issues