Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby concreterose » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:55 pm

Brutus's Mommy wrote:Well I just got back from the natural foods store and picked up some lemon oil and some Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 Hemp Tea Tree Pure Castile Soap. I figured since you were all talking about tea tree oil I would save $8 and just pick up the castile soap with it already in it :oops: lol
I'm going to be cleaning all weekend!

You probably really will too lol
I clean a lot more since everything I use smells so good.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mypuppyJack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:09 pm

The only thing with Dr Bronners- my kids screamed bloody murder if any accidentally got in their eyes! I heard- not sure if this is true- someone correct me if this is a myth- but regular shampoos have anesthetics in them to make them "tearless"
mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Linariel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:19 pm

I had no idea you could use castille soap as a doggie wash!

Making a trip to Dale's tomorrow...hopefully I will get some good stuff.

I'm switching all of our hair and skin care products to all natural varieties. It's sad, I will really miss my body washes and shampoos. My hubby is still weirded out by the flouride free Tom's of Maine toothpaste!
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm

concreterose wrote:
Brutus's Mommy wrote:Well I just got back from the natural foods store and picked up some lemon oil and some Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 Hemp Tea Tree Pure Castile Soap. I figured since you were all talking about tea tree oil I would save $8 and just pick up the castile soap with it already in it :oops: lol
I'm going to be cleaning all weekend!

You probably really will too lol
I clean a lot more since everything I use smells so good.

I shampooed my carpets, scrubbed my stove and mopped my dining room and kitchen already! lol
Everything has worked wonderfully so far. :thumbsup:
Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:55 am

Brutus' Mommy, how does the soap smell?
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Brutus' Mommy, how does the soap smell?

It smells really good actually.
I wasn't too fond of the vinegar one, but I think I put too much vinegar and not enough lemon oil. Everything was fairly cheap too (which was good for me! lol)
Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Melody » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:09 pm

I second the Dr. Bronner's castile soap. I use the peppermint one for my doggies. Maui went to a nutritionist when she was about a year old and he said to use that stuff as it would soothe her skin (she's all white and allergic to everything.) I have been using it ever since and I love it. Makes the pups smell minty fresh!

For regular cleaning products, has anyone tried to Clorox Anywhere spray? I bought it, but don't know what to think. I use it to clean the crates, my counter tops, and any accidents Max has on the tile. There's no smell at all, looks like water, so I hope its working! I know its not a natural product, but its supposed to be completely harmless, safe to use around food and babies.
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:55 pm

I use the Clorox all over spray. I use it on my countertops whenever I am dealing with raw food, use it in food bowls but I rinse thoroughly with hot water after I let the spray sit for a few minutes.

I will have to check out the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. :thumbsup:
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby concreterose » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:22 pm

SugarFox03 wrote:I second the Dr. Bronner's castile soap. I use the peppermint one for my doggies. Maui went to a nutritionist when she was about a year old and he said to use that stuff as it would soothe her skin (she's all white and allergic to everything.) I have been using it ever since and I love it. Makes the pups smell minty fresh!

For regular cleaning products, has anyone tried to Clorox Anywhere spray? I bought it, but don't know what to think. I use it to clean the crates, my counter tops, and any accidents Max has on the tile. There's no smell at all, looks like water, so I hope its working! I know its not a natural product, but its supposed to be completely harmless, safe to use around food and babies.

Keep in mind that manufacturers are not required to dispose all the ingredients in the products that they make. One question I always ask myself when considering using something: Would I be comfortable, after using this product, with my dogs licking the surface that I used it on? Would I be comfortable letting my children crawl around on the floor after I used it? How about sticking their fingers in their mouths without washing their hands after touching the surface?
This is from Consumer Reports Greener Choices : BUYING AND USING COMMERCIAL CLEANING PRODUCTS

A growing number of less-toxic commercial cleaning products are now available in stores and online. However, because manufacturers are not required to list all of their ingredients, unless they are active disinfectants or known to be potentially hazardous, it can be a challenge to find the least-toxic formulations. The following steps can help:

1. Know the warning labels. All household cleaners that contain known hazardous chemicals must carry a warning label that spells out potential risks, along with precautionary steps and first-aid instructions . In general, the more serious the safety warning on a product, the more likely that it poses risks to your health and the environment . Products labeled “Poison” or “Danger” are more toxic than those labeled “Warning” or “Caution”:

“Danger” refers to products that are corrosive, extremely flammable, highly toxic, or poisonous . Commercial toilet-bowl, oven, and drain cleaners often bear this label .

“Caution” or “Warning” are catchall terms for many other hazards, so scan for specifics, such as “Vapor harmful,” “Causes burns,” or “May be fatal or cause blindness if swallowed.”

“Irritants” refer to substances that cause injury or inflammation on contact.

“Corrosives” refer to chemicals that destroy tissue.

“Sensitizers” are ingredients that can cause allergic reactions and chronic adverse health effects that become evident only after continuing exposures.

“Chronic Health Hazards” may include effects ranging from sterility and birth defects to cancer.

2. Don’t assume that environmental and health claims are true. In many cases, manufacturers can make claims that are neither independently verified nor regulated. Among the most common claims found on cleaning products are the following:

•Nontoxic. This implies that the product will cause no harm to the consumer or environment. However, there is currently no standard definition for this term, and unless otherwise specified, there is no organization independently verifying the claim .

•Natural. Though widely found on commercial cleaning products, the term “natural” doesn’t necessarily mean much. There’s no standard definition for this claim in industry, so manufacturers can use it as they please. What’s more, just because something is “natural” doesn’t mean it’s less toxic, or non-irritating. Even cleaners that are safe enough to eat, like lemon juice, can be irritating to the eyes or skin.

•Environmentally friendly. While this label implies that the product or packaging has some kind of environmental benefit or that it causes no harm to the environment, there is currently no standard definition for the term. Unless otherwise specified, there is also no organization independently verifying this claim.

•Biodegradable. This term is somewhat meaningful, but it can be misleading. “Biodegradable,” which implies that a product or its packaging will break down in nature in a reasonably short period of time, has been only loosely defined by the federal government.

To learn more about other common environmental and health claims found on household cleaning products, visit our Eco-labels site, or click on the following links:

3. Check the ingredient list. Since manufacturers are not required to list all the ingredients in their cleaning products, unless they are active disinfectants or known to be potentially hazardous, it can be difficult to know exactly what you’re buying. And bear in mind that unlike food package labels, when a cleaning product’s ingredients are listed, the order doesn’t necessarily represent relative amounts. Companies that claim to disclose their full list of ingredients include Ecover, Trader Joe’s and Seventh Generation. Visit our Green Ratings to see how they performed.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby jaygirl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Well you'll loooove this one:
Tub and Tile Scrub/Cleaner
For a 16-oz. bottle: Mix 1 2/3 cups baking soda with 1/2 liquid castille soap for this recipe. Use a big bowl. If you use dish soap, it makes it too hard to rinse off. Dilute with 1/2 cup water (filtered or distilled). Add 2 tbsp. white vinegar last. Stir until the lumps are gone. If you can pour it into the container easily, then it's the right consistency. If it's too thick, add more water. Pour into bottle with a flip top (I use those rubbermaid ketchup and mustard containers). Keep the cap on because this mixture will dry out. Shake it real good before you use it each time.
Use it in the tub, sink, toilet bowl, garbage cans and to get rid of grease and stuck on dirt. If you see a white residue after you rinse it, you can rinse with a little scented vinegar, or use a little less of the scrub the next time.

I made some of the scrubbing cleaner this weekend. I works great, but the only problem is the baking soda. It leave a little grit, so you just have to rinse extra. I used an old soft scrub container, about 16 oz. to put the new cleaner in. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone.

P.S. I gave away my Dow, scrubbing bubbles cleaner to my friend. I told her I was going natural. :thumbsup:
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:13 pm

:thumbsup:

I bought the Peppermint Castile liquid soap and used it on the dogs today. WOW! They smell fabulous! I followed with Lavender and Mint Buddy Wash conditioner. I can not stop smelling the dogs! lol They think I am crazy!
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby EagleEye » Tue May 16, 2006 8:40 pm

Dr. Bronner's is the best soap EVER! I've used it as a bath soap for years (liquid and bar soap), and now use it to bathe Stockey and to hand-wash some of my clothing.

You ought to try the Peppermint soap some very warm summer day after you've been outdoors and worked up a sweat. It's fabulous.

I'm determined to get rid of a lot of the household cleaners under my kitchen sink after reading this thread. Most of these cleaners irritate my bronchials and the perfumes in them bother my nasal allergies and skin.

I'm now using most vinegar and water mix for touch-up cleaning and mopping. Stockey is licking his paws a lot less since I've started. :thumbsup:
EagleEye

Postby concreterose » Thu May 18, 2006 1:16 pm

That's great, EagleEye! I no longer have allergy attacks when I clean anymore, and myt house smells fresh and light, not like ammonia and synthetic fragrances. I used to think it was because I was stirring up dust, but I saw that that wasn't the reason!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Linariel » Tue May 23, 2006 12:06 am

I just saw the questions about the Clorox anywhere spray...

It's just diluted bleach, nothing else. I mean, it works, but you can buy a whole gallon of bleach for a dollar, and make your own.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Wed May 31, 2006 12:55 pm

i have a question. For the dog shampoo: can I use 8 oz. of pine oil and 8 oz. of lavender instead of rose oil? Is that safe for the dogs?
INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues