First Post - Bow leg question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

First Post - Bow leg question

Postby MyPitIsAJ » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:28 am

Hey everybody - My name is Andy and my 8wk old Pit is AJ. AJ was abandoned by his owners along with a litter-mate (who dies within hours of being dropped off). I had wanted a dog for a long time, but had never even considered a Pit. A friend of mine works at the Vet clinic where AJ was dropped off, and knew I was looking to get a dog, so he offered AJ. The vet tech said AJ had the worst case of worms he'd ever seen, but now AJ is nearly free of them. He's getting healthier every day, so that's good.
His temperament is also really good up to this point - he's a little protective of his food, which is understandable considering his start in life, but I'm hoping to break him of that. My girlfriend has a 2-yr Blue Tick Coonhound and another shelter dog, and AJ is very good with them. He's also been really good with every other dog he's met so far, so socialization is going well.

I do have one question regarding bow-leggedness: AJ's front legs are very bow-legged, and his knees are very pronounced to the point that it looks almost painful. He exibits no signs of pain, and walks/runs fine, but when he stands, it looks like he's standing on the outside of his tippy toes. Do you think this is because he's still getting his strength back, or is growing into his body, or is this cause for alarm?
The Vet tech I know looked at him 2 days ago and said it should be fine, and that he may just be very bow-legged, and a surgeon looked at him about a week ago and said everything looked good.
Any thoughts? I'll try to post pics of him and his legs soon - he's the cutest thing on Earth!
Thanks in Advance, Andy & AJ
MyPitIsAJ

Re: First Post - Bow leg question

Postby Odnarb » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:54 am

MyPitIsAJ wrote:Any thoughts? I'll try to post pics of him and his legs soon - he's the cutest thing on Earth!
Thanks in Advance, Andy & AJ

I guess it really depends on the severity of the bowleggedness.

If you have pictures but nowhere to post them, I can do that for you. E-mail them to me at me@odnarb.com
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby tuesdaysmom » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:15 pm

I can't wait to see pix! If the vets said they're OK, I'd just have them checked every 6 months or so, when you get your heartguard... :peace:
tuesdaysmom

Postby Fish » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:08 am

We would really have to see the Pic's to give an informed answer. I will say this though, I have seen pic's of some dogs that have alot of Bulldog in their blood so they have that bow legged look, or they could just be rerlated to me, lol.
Fish

Postby MyPitIsAJ » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:39 pm

The vet tech took another look at him today and said it may be Panosteitis, and recommended taking him off Puppy food and Nutri-Cal and giving him Adult food for the next month or so. (He's now 8wks old and has been on Hill's Science Diet for the last 3 1/2 wks - as long as he's been in a good home).
Does this sound plausible to everyone?
I'll have pictures hopefully tonight. Also, not sure if I mentioned this, but he also seems to be shaking/shivering quite a bit. Sometimes it's just his leg or legs, but sometimes it's all over his body - any thoughts on this?
The vet is looking into all this as well, but thought someone here might have more experience with the breed and rescues...

Thanks, Andy
MyPitIsAJ

Return to Health Issues