Killing Our pets with every meal.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby bonesdaddy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 am

I'm Glad I don't eat dog food :yucky:

Does anyone no how Eukanuba(spelling?) is for my puppy? Or what would someone recommend?
bonesdaddy

Postby X-girl » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Bonesdaddy, please read all the food-related threads already in this section for what's recommended by most of the members of this forum. There are sticky posts at the top of this page (we're in 1, in fact) and others in the Pit Bull Forum resource section. (You can access that through the forum index.) Those posts wil help you immensely.

Regarding Eukanubu - the short answer is no, it is not a good food. I recommend doing some research on the board. Good luck.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby bonesdaddy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:21 pm

X-girl wrote:Bonesdaddy, please read all the food-related threads already in this section for what's recommended by most of the members of this forum. There are sticky posts at the top of this page (we're in 1, in fact) and others in the Pit Bull Forum resource section. (You can access that through the forum index.) Those posts wil help you immensely.

Regarding Eukanubu - the short answer is no, it is not a good food. I recommend doing some research on the board. Good luck.

Okay thank you I'll look into that...
bonesdaddy

Postby Albertorey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 am

Damn! are you guys serious about the origin of the dog's food ?! :yucky:
I think starting from tomorrow I will take my pit to Mc Donald's !
:headbang:
Albertorey

Postby vaughndyer1 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:01 pm

what about Pedigree Large breed? I got the ingredients-INGREDIENTS
GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL (NATURAL SOURCE OF CALCIUM), RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT MILL RUN, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE.

*NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT BY THE AAFCO DOG FOOD NUTRIENT PROFILES.

METABOLIZABLE ENERGY:
250 kcal per 8oz cup

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min.) 22.0%
Crude Fat (Min.) 10.0%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 4.0%
Moisture (Max.) 12%
Calcium (Min.) 1%
Phosphorus (Min.) 0.8%
Vitamin E (Min.) 225 IU/Kg
ASCORBIC ACID (VIT. C*)(Min.) 70 mg/kg
**Does any of this mean dead animals????(seriously)
vaughndyer1

Postby vaughndyer1 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:07 pm

Is this it??
CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL
vaughndyer1

Postby pblove » Sun May 21, 2006 7:43 pm

vaughndyer1 wrote:Is this it??
CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL

I am not sure what the question is about chicken meal???
But, Pedigree is at the top of the list for bad food.
If I remeber correctly, go to the link, there are some lists and Purina products were close to the top for testing positive to phenobarbital, which is from using dead dogs/cast that the vet have euthed (put to sleep)!! :po:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby vaughndyer1 » Sun May 21, 2006 8:55 pm

I cant find the list?!?! :sad:
vaughndyer1

Postby pblove » Sun May 21, 2006 9:36 pm

vaughndyer1 wrote:I cant find the list?!?! :sad:

sorry, it is on this link, but don;t ask me exaclty where.
you will have to do your own search on here., but it is some very interesting reads at least!
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petfoods.htm
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Duncanpit » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 pm

I need to go to the pet store tonight to buy my guy some kibble, and I don't want to give him crap, so what's the best stuff I could buy?
Duncanpit

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:50 pm

UGGGG>
I have been going back and re-reading all the food posts. Now I am even more confused.
Righ now we are on Nutro Large Breed. Must get them off.
I can either go with Natural Balance Ultra Premium or Canidae. Have to go to a special store to get the Canidae and price it. I though "meal" when following a meat was bad. Guess I miss read (the meats in teh canidae are follwed my meal)
But, I am worried about switching them . SO, far, no allergies or anything.
Any thoughts?
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby haileybird » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Akas- canidae is the best of the ones you named. another really good kibble is solid gold. there is a store called especially for pets that does entirely raw and holistic food, its a great place and can answer all your questions. not sure if they are outside of ne but id google it and start there. any other qs feel free to ask, i feed entirely raw and the dogs are much healthier. hope this helps!
haileybird

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:26 pm

THANKS!
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby jhicken » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm

I’m a skeptical reader, so when I read such inflammatory stuff like this, a red flag goes up. I don’t run around with my head in the clouds thinking my government will protect us from everything but in some cases it does a decent job. If your typical off the shelf dog food was laced with such toxic ingredients as the author might have you believe, how can our dogs possibly survive? Like so much biased journalism, just pepper a few potentially feasible facts into your argument and most folks will buy the whole thing.

The article states:

“95 percent of the food fed to these treasured creatures is made up of materials that are unfit for human consumption and contain little nutritional value”

and:

“a toxic brew containing diseased and contaminated meat from slaughterhouses, animal heads, toenails, chicken feathers, feet and beaks. It also includes dead animals picked up from the nation's roads, rancid kitchen grease and frying oil from the nation's kitchens, and millions of pounds of dead animals from the country's animal hospitals and shelters”

and:

“The pet food industry is unregulated by government bodies. An organization called the Association of American Feed Control Officials sets the standards. Its membership includes a few state agency representatives, but it is mostly run by commercial pet food industry workers.”

All this is contrary to the information contained on the FDA’s site regarding pet food.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petfoods.htm

The FDA has a special branch called the “Center for Veterinary Medicine” which regulates animal drugs, medicated feeds, food additives and feed ingredients, including pet foods.

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires that pet foods, like human foods, be pure and wholesome, safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled.

As for “by-products” or “meals”, as humans we willingly eat hot dogs and a myriad of other processed foods that contain chicken heads, hooves, teeth, bones, gizzards and a lot of the other “by-products”.

An interesting note about “by-products”, the protein quality is sometimes better than that from regular meat

Also “fish oil” is a nutritional supplement. Omega fatty acids are also good for you.

The author also states:

“The city of Los Angeles sends 200 tons of euthanized cats and dogs to West Coast Rendering plant every month. This is just from the city's animal shelters and does not include animals from private veterinarians.”

And then states:

“A common drug found in the rendering brew is phenobarbital, commonly used to euthanize sick animals. The American Journal of Veterinary Research did a study in 1985 that showed there was virtually no degradation of this drug during the typical rendering process and that measurable quantities of it remain present in the rendered material used for pet foods and for feeding cattle destined for human consumption.”

This leads the reader to believe that euthanized dogs and cats may be the reason for low levels if penobarbital in pet food. More proof of the nasty stuff we are feeding our dogs.

But, according to the FDA testing done in 1998 and again in 2000, there wasn’t the presence of either dog or cat DNA in the food they tested. The trace was attributed to potentially euthanized cattle or horses. It also goes on to state that the level of penobarbital was below any potential harm to dogs

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/DFreport.htm

Now I’m not stating that the typical stuff you buy in a grocery store is the best stuff you can give your dog, but we are hardly “Killing Our Pets with Every Meal”

On last observation I’d be concerned about, this article is published by a pet food company. This might be considered a conflict of interest.

-jeffrey
jhicken

Postby dhatcher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:10 pm

I think I'm leaning towards jhicken's point of view. This site seems suspiciously related to many PITA arguments.

We all know PITA would never ever lie to gain support for their organization. 8l
dhatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues