To foster or adopt, if at all?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

To foster or adopt, if at all?

Postby Motodiva » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:28 pm

My situation is this: My husband and I have no children and a nice big fenced yard etc... We already have an 11 month old female pit that we adore beyond words. She is fairly spoiled as she is an omly dog and gets TONS of attention and excercise. She has fairly mild dog aggression so far. Most of the time when another dog gets snarfy she blows it off, but she did react one time, so I know she is already getting there.

We have fallen for a male pit at the pound (she was from the pound too) who is not likely to get adopted. He is big 84 pounds (ours is only 43) and 8 years old. I think he is the coolest, but he has some fairly large growths (non-cancerous) that turn a lot of people off. They would like to have them removed but don't want to do it until he gets neutered because of his age. He won't get neutered until he is adopted because they try not to waste their resources. So far as I have seen he is pretty happy and great with all people.

His temperment seems solid and I took my pup to meet him. They seemed to not care about each other too much other than our girl was frustrated because he doesn't have any jowels or ears (they're cropped) to hang onto like her best dog friend has. Granted, that was only the first time and we would do a much more extensive meeting time in the future.

We aren't sure we want another dog and would love to see this guy go to a great home, but I am sure his time is limited due to his tumors and age. If we foster him we can get all of this done and buy him a lot more time too. I am thinking of making a little coat type thing that says "Adopt me" and walking him at a busy park every day. We also realize that if he doens't find a home at some point he will become ours.

While we are not oppsed to this entirely, our life is fairly easy right now. We have the facilities to keep the dogs in their own places when we are not home and sleeping, so that is not an issue. If they choose not to get along, I think I would take him back (while he's still a foster). I'm not saying a supervised tiff here or there, but if they REALLY don't get along.

We both agree about him but things like travelling become much more difficult. I am also concerned that my spoiled brat might become jealous or depressed. Because he's older and has the same activity level as my hubby, he would do his walks and I would continue to do my mcuh more rigorous workouts with my girl, so she would still get some one-on-one time and so would he.

Those of you that have added to your family, how did it go? I know it's been discussed, but suddenly it seems much more real and I think it's time to listen more carefully.

Should we just take this boy home and call him ours, foster him til he gets a home, or just leave our happy family the way it is? Just curious for some input, my family seems to think one pit is more than enough (keeping in mind she's is your typical hyper-active neurotic pit pup, and he is not), I tend to disagree, but they could be right. Thanks for the input!

Sanya

Oh yeah, here's his info: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3165792&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=412fd4f749fca820-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mnp13 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:50 pm

First, temperament in a shelter is MUCH different than temperament in a home environment.

I think if you have the time and space for another dog then a foster 'try out' period is a GREAT idea. However, you'll make his life MUCH worse if you try him out then send him back to the shelter. If they don't get along you may still find a good home for him - get his obedience up to snuff and take him to the park in his jacket, he'll get adopted quickly.

If he is mellow and friendly and they don't get along he may be a good candidate for a senior adoption - as in a dog for a older person.

Sure, your like seems 'good' now, but if you take him into your home you may soon find that you don't know how you every lived without him!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Motodiva » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Michelle, first I have to agree about his temperment not being what it will be at home. I experienced this with my first one too!

if you take him into your home you may soon find that you don't know how you every lived without him!

I guess that's what I'm afraid of! We are planning on doing lots of obedience work with him as that will help him bond, make him more adoptable, and make everybody's life better.

Thanks for the input!

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs