Nylabones.....good or bad?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Nylabones.....good or bad?

Postby mindonmatter » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:03 pm

Are Nylabones safe for dogs to eat? I've seen them recommended a few times here. My dog loves them. But really, is polymer/nylon okay to digest? If a dogs bites off a big piece of it and swallows it, is this stuff going to break down and digest?

These are what I'm talking about. They aren't adverstised as edible. Says they're made of nylon/thermopolymer. http://www.nylabone.com/dog_chews/index.html

On the other hand, the same company advertises an edible line of Nylabones: http://www.nylabone.com/dog_treats/

My question is about the first link though.
Thoughts....concerns?
mindonmatter

Postby Demo Dick » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:06 pm

Just make sure the particular product you give your dog is not so soft as to break off into big chunks. I give Connor the hardest variety of Nylabone and it is fine.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby Boscoe13 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Same here Boscoe loves his we just keep an eye out if he happens to break a piece off but that hasn't happened yet...personally I think it was the best toy we ever bought him!
Boscoe13

Postby spane1 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:11 pm

Jack loves them too :inlove:

I think we've gone through about 6. We take them away once the knuckles wear down and give him a new one.

Sarah
spane1

Postby mindonmatter » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. The one he has now is the flexible puppy kind and he breaks tiny pieces off and eats them. I'm going to go get him one of those super-duper Galileo style Nylabones. It should hold up.
mindonmatter

Postby barbponys » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:00 am

The puppy nyla products are called gumma, they are a bit softer. Then there's the nyla and top end is galileo. They are suppose to be the hardest out there. I have yet to have a dog that will chew them. Mine are the distructo demons that like to see progress. Sigh.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby eric996 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:20 am

Get em one of those Galileo bones. Its polyurethane I think, but I use to have a mutt in his chewing stage and the bone outworked him 8)
eric996

Postby concreterose » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:04 am

Vicki nor Pookie will chew the gumabone or then nylabones :roll:
concreterose
Regulator

Return to Health Issues