8 yr old pit may be surrendered

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

8 yr old pit may be surrendered

Postby heather » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:10 am

I talked to a woman who has an 8yr old pitbull that she has had since he was 5 weeks. she is moving to the atlanta area and says that she cannot find a pit friendly landlord and has to give up her dog..? Can anyone in that area give me any ideas of who will rent to her short of calling everyone in the book? she said her dog hasn't had heartworm preventative in about 4 months.... :po: I told her it will be very difficult to place an 8 yr old pit who has heartworms. I told her i would try to help her on the landlord issue. there has to be somewhere for her to rent. this dog will be turned over to animal control if she cannot place him or find a place that will take him- a woman at animal control said he is a wonderful dog. any info will help. what is she thinking? :sad:
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby nan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:56 am

Just a question...is finding a place to rent really the problem, or is she just looking for an excuse to surrender the dog without feeling too guilty about it? I KNOW there are a number of apartment complexes here that allow bully breeds, because I worked at the SPCA and had to call them as part of our application screening. And Raleigh's not as big an area as Atlanta. Finding a landlord may take some time, but I can't believe it's just not possible. But I also know many people unfortunately use moving as an excuse to surrender their animals.

If it really is a landlord issue, you could use something like apartmentguide.com, search for complexes that allow pets, and then just start calling. Or you could search the paper's classifieds online for individual apartments for rent. In my experience, landlords with one or two properties are often somewhat flexible in their requirements, and may prefer a well-mannered adult dog to a very young puppy with chewing and housetraining issues.

If she's set on giving up the dog, there may be a limit to what you can do to change that, but I hope for his sake that that's not the case. I agree placing an eight year old male pit bull with heartworms would be really difficult, not to mention how traumatic it is for a dog to be given up after that long. So sad...I really hope you can help her.
nan
Matured Bully

Postby Motodiva » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:08 am

Littlefoot,

There's an 8 year old male down here in OR, I don't suppose this is the guy you're taking? That would be cool. I guess it's a long shot, but I would loooove to find this beautiful guy a home!

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby K » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:03 pm

Must be something in the air?...the one I am taking home will be 8 very soon too (6th Oct)

It can not be impossible to find a house or apartment to take your dog ...I did it with 5...I got turned down in 3 different languages and almost 50 times...but I didnt give up on 5 dogs now did I?
K

Postby heather » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:08 pm

i told her she can buy a house for cheaper than she can rent--even without a down payment. i told her to go to a realtor and see. she is concerned about her student loan payments, but they are monthy payments and she should have more money now that she is done with school. i am going to send her some heartworm medicine and try being honest yet kind with her. i think she can work it out. i think it is an excuse. she could commute until she works something out. people do it for lesser reasons.
:roll:
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby tuesdaysmom » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:24 pm

HI, I live in Atlanta (a little South, about 19 miles, but it really doesn't take that long to get there because it's right on I-75. I live in Waterford Landing the number to the apartment office is 770-898-9595. They are pet friendly, all she has to do is say he is an Am Staff. My dog is ALL PIT, and they love her. the Am Staff Terrier threw them off and they love her. They don't do an inspection or require papers or anything. Rent is $653 for a one bedroom with cable included, they are called "Luxury Apartments" and run some good specials sometimes. She may even get rent cheaper than that. Pet deposit is $300. If she doesn't have the money when she moves in, don't tell them, they won't even know, but tell her to try and pay it within the first two months as they send maintenence around to change air filters. (or don't answer the door) Email me if you need more info.
tuesdaysmom

Postby Motodiva » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:19 pm

Here's a "brief" history!

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4526&highlight=

We're trying to find him a home.

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs